Algae- blackout? Fry tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stellah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I safely black out a fry tank to kill algae bloom?

Has anyone ever done this? I googled- and can't find anything...

The bloom isn't that bad- all the fry are fine- and all levels are normal.

Thank you!

Oops i accidently reported your post.... sorry.
I was gonna say good luck and I do not recomendnit as fry need light for proper developement.

Lol. That's alright- I appreciate the reply!

That's exactly what I'm worried about... Ugh. I don't wanna use/ buy a sterilizer for the same reasons.... :/

What todo what todo...

Fry will be fine in ambient light.

Ive got molly, guppy and betta fry in a 29. Betas are about a month, guppies are as young as 2 weeks and as old as 2 months, and mollies are about a month...

Again- everyone was healthy.. I blacked out tonight. It's been almost 12 hours now. I'm just worried if I should take it the full 3 days without food or light.

Is there an alternative? Some sort of filter media?

Thanks for your time everyone. My fry and I appreciate it. :)

Maybe not in all fry but in some it will cause deformation.

Can you post a reference? I've never heard of light related deformation in fishes.

The only importance is that they have a day / night cycle.

Can you post a reference? I've never heard of light related deformation in fishes.

The only importance is that they have a day / night cycle.

Tbh I cant. I was told that and now that yall ask me I cant remember where lol I thought it was either here or my lfs. I was told without proper light guppy fry can get bent spines.

Tbh I cant. I was told that and now that yall ask me I cant remember where lol I thought it was either here or my lfs. I was told without proper light guppy fry can get bent spines.

Gotcha. I hope it was the LFS. lol

I've kept many guppy strains as well as other live bearers in unlit tanks without issue. Enough light to grow java moss is a good thing though.

Gotcha. I hope it was the LFS. lol

I've kept many guppy strains as well as other live bearers in unlit tanks without issue. Enough light to grow java moss is a good thing though.

So lack of light doesnt hurt anything? Wow.... I did just read that lack of light makes them more susceptable to disease is that true?
Also in a black out we are talking alot darker than ambiant light. Wouldnt that be too much? After all cave fish lose their eyes in dark environment.

A black out is only 3 days which honestly isn't enough time to cause issues. The only problem I could foresee is some of the very tiny fry might not be able to go that long without food but fry are pretty tough little things. You either have to do the black out or use a UV sterilizer. The only type of filter that I know of that used to be used for algae blooms were diatomaceous earth filters. Common filters we use don't have the ability to remove ultra tiny particles like the free floating algae that causes algae blooms. There just aren't a lot of choices.

A black out is only 3 days which honestly isn't enough time to cause issues. The only problem I could foresee is some of the very tiny fry might not be able to go that long without food but fry are pretty tough little things. You either have to do the black out or use a UV sterilizer. The only type of filter that I know of that used to be used for algae blooms were diatomaceous earth filters. Common filters we use don't have the ability to remove ultra tiny particles like the free floating algae that causes algae blooms. There just aren't a lot of choices.

Well I sound stupid lol I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks!

UPDATE:
Main tank- successful! Only one casualty- one african dwarf frog didn't make it, but he wasn't looking good when I started the blackout. So 1/30 something ain't bad! The tank is back to its pristine self!

Fry tank- mostly successful. No casualties, not even a single fry was lost! :) HOWEVER- I see ICH spots on 3 fry. :/

How would I treat fry for ich? :(

I'm preparing to do my post-blackout water changes right now. I have the tanks uncovered, but can I safely turn the lights back on?

Thank you everyone for all of your help!!

Never dealt with ich on fry but I imagine the heat method is the safest for them.

Heat alone will only help temporarily. We've tried and had to resort to salt.

Back
Top Bottom