Algae eater suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A month?! I feed one every night haha but then I have three plecos in the same tank.

Yeah I know I'm horrible lol. He must have been getting enough pellets. He's good though. Stated coming out during the day. He's like yeah whatever now lol.

Yeah I know I'm horrible lol. He must have been getting enough pellets. He's good though. Stated coming out during the day. He's like yeah whatever now lol.

Well I guess as long as he's eating he's fine haha, don't you have a GNP?

There is a problem here... the OP says he has a 10g tank with a fancy goldfish and 3 tropical fish. First off a 10 gallon is way too small for a fancy gold fish, which needs a 30g tank. Sorry but it needs to be moved to a bigger tank or rehomed. Also goldfish are coldwater fish, produce alot of ammonia, and produce copious amounts of waste, all which are not good for tropical fish.

Next issue is a 10g is not suitable for any pleco, it is too small.

Third what type of algae do you have? Any pictures you could post of it would be very helpful. What type of lighting do you have and how many hours a day do you leave it run? If you have an algae issue it needs to be addressed and corrected.

Also there are alot of different algaes and different algae eaters have specific algaes they eat. There are some algae's no algae eater will eat. So until the type of algae your tank has no suitable algae eater can be recommended.

Seriously , I just made a thread stating I'd like one . It's not that serious. And I've done been told about the goldfish , thank you anyway!

Yes, the OP needs a new tank for the fish he already has. I think 30g would be the absolute minimum.

As to the algae eater question, i personally love Otos. They are fun to watch, they school together, they are very active, and they don't spend their day hiding. To OP: if you upgrade your tank size, I recommend a school of otos to take care of your algae.

My fish are fine, healthy and have plenty of swimming space. I don't have an algae problem , I simply stated I would like to get an algae eater. Didn't say when, I just said I'd like one

I would just like to add this.

Yes there is a problem. The OP is aware of it. I've personally been taking back and forth with the OP and I'm 100% confident that she is going to do the right thing. Se has everything lined up. It's not her fault. It was bad advice and it happens to ALOT of us. I don't condemn her, I support her efforts in getting the bigger tank and doing the right thing.

I would just like to add this.

Yes there is a problem. The OP is aware of it. I've personally been taking back and forth with the OP and I'm 100% confident that she is going to do the right thing. Se has everything lined up. It's not her fault. It was bad advice and it happens to ALOT of us. I don't condemn her, I support her efforts in getting the bigger tank and doing the right thing.

Thank you so much! Finally someone sees that I'm trying to figure all this out!

My fish are fine, healthy and have plenty of swimming space. I don't have an algae problem , I simply stated I would like to get an algae eater. Didn't say when, I just said I'd like one

Yeah I love the algae eaters myself. Don't know why but they amuse me more than regular fish. Don't take too much offense with suggestions from other people, they are all meant to help you from future problems. While your goldfish are fine right now they will get bigger and eventually need a larger tank. They are fairly big ammonia producers, but if you stay on top of your water quality it should be okay for a while

Yeah I love the algae eaters myself. Don't know why but they amuse me more than regular fish. Don't take too much offense with suggestions from other people, they are all meant to help you from future problems. While your goldfish are fine right now they will get bigger and eventually need a larger tank. They are fairly big ammonia producers, but if you stay on top of your water quality it should be okay for a while

I have 1. Thanks anyways ,

Thank you so much! Finally someone sees that I'm trying to figure all this out!

I think everyone may see it just remember not have spoken like we have :)

It's all good. Your fling in the right direction and that's the important thing. You understand and your addressing it.

I think everyone may see it just remember not have spoken like we have :)

It's all good. Your fling in the right direction and that's the important thing. You understand and your addressing it.

You see the problem here is no one but you had any idea of the situation as it was never mentioned in the post. No one, myself included is being mean, just commenting to what info is available in the posts. Miscommunication happens when all the info isn't out on the table so to speak for all to see.

But in all honestly any type of pleco is too large for a 10g even the smaller ones IMO. Oto's or snails such as nerites are the best choices for any small tank.

You see the problem here is no one but you had any idea of the situation as it was never mentioned in the post. No one, myself included is being mean, just commenting to what info is available in the posts. Miscommunication happens when all the info isn't out on the table so to speak for all to see.

But in all honestly any type of pleco is too large for a 10g even the smaller ones IMO. Oto's or snails such as nerites are the best choices for any small tank.

I fully understand that. I just spoke up so others know. I completely 100% agree with you. Me and the OP had just started taking about tanks and well... I gave my advice and opinion which is pretty much how others feel as well.

No harm done and didn't mean anything by it. Certain people maybe feel more comfortable talking to certain people through PM. When I first started I found a friend (Andy) is one of them and I would HOUND him all the time lol.

Anyway... Your right...

Back
Top Bottom