Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to buy something that will clean algae off the glass on my aquarium.

What is the best fish or snail for this???? Nothing that will get too big.

Thanks in advance for the advice...

Algae Eater??

If you have an algae problem, it's really best to discover what is causing it instead of buying a fish to fix the problem. The most common cause is probably lights being left on too long. Any more than 8 hours and you're probably going to have issues if your tank is not planted. Also, regular gravel vacuuming and water changes are necessary to prevent accumulation of nutrients that algae will thrive on.

The best algae cleaner is generally you. You can get a magnetic cleaner and sweep your glass free of algae pretty readily. I have had to do this even with algae eating species.
If you are interested in a species that might eat algae, we need to know what size tank you have and what is all in it. Be aware though that any given species will not necessarily take away your need to wipe algae off the glass. Also, look into having the lights on for less time. :)

I have 64.8 gallon. And i do weekly water changes. My lights are only on for 7 hours and i do clean the glass myself. I'm not new to this. I am just looking for something to help a little. I am perfectly fine with cleaning it myself and doing what it takes to get rid of it. But I just though a little help would be nice.

Generally any algae eater is going to leave smudges in the algae. The result is a pretty ugly semi clean surface.

Is it brown (diatom) algae or green?
Best is to do it yourself but a bristlenose pleco is one of the best cleaners and they only get 4-5".

Its green on color so probably green algae.

And I have a Bristlenose Pleco.

I have 64.8 gallon. And i do weekly water changes. My lights are only on for 7 hours and i do clean the glass myself. I'm not new to this. I am just looking for something to help a little. I am perfectly fine with cleaning it myself and doing what it takes to get rid of it. But I just though a little help would be nice.

You can look into the rubberlip pleco, farlowella, or a school of otos. There are some other plecos species that could work for you, but they will be on the pricey end and very readily available in many locations. If you are comfortable ordering online, just check out the stock list from The Wet Spot or Live Aquaria or some such place if you want something more unusual. Or, try CL. I have found a few less common species on CL like the royal pleco, King tiger pleco and 3 spot pleco.
Honestly though, If you have a bnp who is not eating it, you may not have very edible algae. Bnp are pretty generalized in what they eat. If I was you, I would probably just get a trio of otos to start with and see how it goes. They are dedicated algae and biolfilm eaters for their whole lives. Though, they can be pretty delicate and some people have no luck keeping them alive.

Hiya I might be repeating others a tad but otto's are fab get 3-5 but make sure u get otto's. I got sold a pair of flying fox's when I asked for ottos once when I was a newby, they are good algae eaters but not so much on glass.

Then nerite snails. They are good too.

But the best advice is the annoying advice u dont want to hear... lights on for less time, make sure tank is away from natural light.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Think I will be going Sunday to buy 4 Oto's. I have been reading about these little guys so I'm pretty excited. Think they will look good and be a good for in my tank.

I got 4 cories yesterday and I love them already. They're very active, probably more so than my platies, and they're so cute with how they group together. Good luck with your otos! :)

Back
Top Bottom