Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somecallmedaniel16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!

One of my buddies on AA recently told me I should get rid of a golden algae eater I have for my 20gal high. The fish has served me well for over a year and has had only mild signs of aggression towards other fish. The fish is about 5". Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not I should keep the fish or find another kind of algae eater such as otos, CAEs, shrimp, or snails?

-Daniel

C.A.E. is a lousy algae eater.
Very much mis-named.
S.A.E. is good, Plecos are better.
If the Golden Algea Eater has served you well, why would you get rid of him?

Mag float. No algae eater is needed.

no need to get rid of it before it causes problems

I actually disagree with this. Better to part with it before inevitible issues arise IMO. Same as rehoming (or not buying) a fish that will outgrow your tank eventually.

i have a cae in my 40 gal and hes sort of aggresive. hes still small but ive read once they are fully grown they latch on to ur other fish and suck their natural slime coat

my bushynose pleco doesn't eat the algae build up on my aquarium ><... i have an MTS community waiting to grow at the bottom of my aquarium soo i'll let that take it's course ><

also in my 75 gal my 2 common plecos dont really eat algea they only eat algea wafers lol

Back
Top Bottom