algae eating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomoisawatergod

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. I'm trying to find a small algae eating fish. A regular plec would grow to large for my current tank.

Thanks

That would depend on what type algae you want it for. Not all algae eaters eat all types of algae and some algae no algae eaters will eat. For a small tank, depending on what type of algae, nerite snails are great. They can't breed in freshwater and will eat diatoms, green spot algae, and green dust algae (which is what you find on your aquarium glass). Only a couple types of fish will eat hair algae (SAE's, American flag fish), and no fish or snail that I know of will eat black beard algae. Nerites are the only thing I know of that can actually eat green spot algae. If your having an algae problem an algae eater will help some but the actual cause of the algae needs to be addressed.

Rivercats said:
That would depend on what type algae you want it for. Not all algae eaters eat all types of algae and some algae no algae eaters will eat. For a small tank, depending on what type of algae, nerite snails are great. They can't breed in freshwater and will eat diatoms, green spot algae, and green dust algae (which is what you find on your aquarium glass). Only a couple types of fish will eat hair algae (SAE's, American flag fish), and no fish or snail that I know of will eat black beard algae. Nerites are the only thing I know of that can actually eat green spot algae. If your having an algae problem an algae eater will help some but the actual cause of the algae needs to be addressed.

+1 river cats

Back
Top Bottom