Algae eating fish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexthefishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tropical community tank. I had a plecostumus but it died 2 weeks ago and ever since my tank is getting more and more green from algae growing everywhere. Are there any fish that could go on a semi aggressive tropical community tank that do a good job eating algae? Thank you!!!

Semi aggressive? What kind of fish do you have?
First off, try reducing the lighting to help control the algae. Good water maintenance will help.
Otocinclus catfish (in a group) might do okay in there assuming the tank is well established and the tank mates won’t harass or eat them.

I have tetras and an angel fish and a gourami. They are all peaceful. I have reduced the lighting. I have good water maintenance.

I personally like otto's as well however they can be sensitive. You could go with a bristlenose pleco (assuming you wanted another pleco) or you can try snails.

OR you could just get a magnetic algae scraper. I have one for my tanks and it works amazingly without adding to your tanks bioload and it can't die.

Second snails or Bristle noses. Nerites are GREAT algae eaters but tend to deposit sesame seed looking eggs which can't hatch without salt but can look ugly. Bristle noses will do a good job cleaning and only grow to 4/5" but being bigger will definately increase your bio load. I recommend a magnetic algae cleaner as a secondary back up with either choice.

I have nerite snails and mystery snails. I also have an albino Bristlenose pleco but none of them do anything. The gravel gets very green very fast and same with the glass. I recently got 2 baby albino plecos 2 days ago but i don't see a difference in the amount of algae. I also have a magnetic algae scraper but it doesn't work also

I have nerite snails and mystery snails. I also have an albino Bristlenose pleco but none of them do anything. The gravel gets very green very fast and same with the glass. I recently got 2 baby albino plecos 2 days ago but i don't see a difference in the amount of algae. I also have a magnetic algae scraper but it doesn't work also
That's odd. I stuck 5 nerites in a 29g and they cleaned up my algae within a week.....glass, plants, decor and gravel.

I’m wondering if what you have is Cyanobacteria or Blue Green Algae. It tends to grow loosely rapidly over most surfaces, covering them like a blanket. Does it remove easily? If so, I would physically remove as much as possible (using a siphon) and increase the water change regimen. For eradication, you have a couple routes you can take such as antibiotic or non-antibiotic products or continued physical removal.
If the algae sticks firmly to the surfaces, then it is most likely green spot or green dust algae.
In either case a reduction in light (via blackout) should help.

Top Algae Cleaners :
Otto
Ancistrus
True Siamese Algae Eater
Japonica Amano Shrimp
American Flagfish
Nerite snails
It is important to know that different fish/inverts eat different types of algae so there really isn't one that is "Best"
water chemistry and light times are what causes it ,figure those out and you wont need algae eating critters

Back
Top Bottom