Algae.help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you get rid of it? Its on all my decor, now its starting on the glass..

I would get an pleco. I love my albino bristlenose he never stops eating. He is always moving from one decoration to the next. Also they only get to 3-5 inches but I was told they never get more than 3. My wife loves him.

It's usually better to assess why there is algae in there in the first place, rather than buy a fish to eat it, which not in all cases it will. Do you know what kind of algae it is? Pics would help.

hhmmm... i already have a bottom feeder so I was hoping for something that didnt require adding more fish... ...thanks though!!

It is brown. everyday there is more and more of it...the tank is almost a year old. what would you suggest? its looking pretty bad!

How long do you usually keep your lights on a day? Is it in any direct sunlight?

not very much direct sunlight... however, I only keep the lights on a few hours a day. would adding a different rock cause this aglae? cant post pics tonight.. will tomorow!

The more you try to wipe it away, the more it will come back. Diatoms are harmless and typical in a tank less than a year old. They will go away on their own. You definitely do NOT need a fish to take care of them.

I had the same issue in my new tank after it cycled. Didn't bother me at first but kept getting worse and on glass too.
I purchased Zebra Nerite snails and they have almost completely cleaned the diatoms.
They are nice looking striped snails, don't eat plants and most importantly they don't multiply in freshwater. I didn't want to introduce snails that would get out of hand.
They only eat algae and are expert removers of diatoms.

GoldsGuy said:
I had the same issue in my new tank after it cycled. Didn't bother me at first but kept getting worse and on glass too.
I purchased Zebra Nerite snails and they have almost completely cleaned the diatoms.
They are nice looking striped snails, don't eat plants and most importantly they don't multiply in freshwater. I didn't want to introduce snails that would get out of hand.
They only eat algae and are expert removers of diatoms.

Wow! Thanks! going to check them out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom