Algae Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright. I just got a goldfish a few months ago and will be getting him a bigger tank here soon. The plan is to get Pudgie (the boyfriend named him) a 40-55 gal tank and possibly a friend (aka another Oranda). My problem is I have algae everywhere in his current tank that I can't get to with an algae scrubber. I would like to get a cleaner fish that will handle this problem in this tank and in the new one. Requirements:

1) Eats green algae
2) Can be housed comfortably in a 40-55 gal with 1-2 Oranda goldfish.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again. Been a while, but I need help again..... :facepalm:

I actually would not opt for a cleaner fish but would get some Japanese trapdoor snails instead. They are very large, incredible algae eaters, are very interesting, tolerate cooler water and only reproduce once in rare while by giving birth to a few fully formed live babies (this is amazing!).

The other thing here to consider is why you are having algae issues in the first place. Addressing the root cause will help to eliminate the problem. Lighting? Photo period? Water change schedule? Plants?

I actually would not opt for a cleaner fish but would get some Japanese trapdoor snails instead. They are very large, incredible algae eaters, are very interesting, tolerate cooler water and only reproduce once in rare while by giving birth to a few fully formed live babies (this is amazing!).

The other thing here to consider is why you are having algae issues in the first place. Addressing the root cause will help to eliminate the problem. Lighting? Photo period? Water change schedule? Plants?

There really should not be any algae but it's everywhere. No plants, no sunlight, his lamp has been out for a while and it was never a bulb that would be growth friendly, and I've been doing daily smaller water changes. Idk why it's there but it is. And it won't go away. Japanese trapdoor snails? I'll have to look into those.

Back
Top Bottom