Algae in substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question on my substrate. I think its causing a nasty looking algae between it and the edge of my tank. I thought it might be just because my tank was new but its been about 5 months since the tank has been up and no mater how low my nitrates are I still seem to get this nasty algae in the sand against the glass. I think my sand size might be too big causing stuff to build up in it (mine is some kind of the larger arag-alive types) or maybe I just dont have a large enough amount of things to stir my sand up. Should I change the substrate or add more of a clean up crew?

Nerites are good but i don't think they could get to the algae. Its not on the substrate, its only between the substrate and the glass. Its almost trapped there. I have to move around the sand to clean the glass there. Its pretty much just a red/brown layer of algae on the glass all along where my substrate is, but no where else. So unless they would go under the sand on the glass I don't think they could reach it. I think more nassarius could definently help stir it up but I dont know if I should just change my substrate to something smaller. I didnt look much into differenet substrates when I bought it and pretty much just grabbed what they had. I would like something more like sand than crushed shells, but i don't know if that would fix my algae problem.

Back
Top Bottom