algae or vermitid snails - identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have a ton of vermitid snails that put out that stringy web like mucas to catch stuff out of the water colum. I have been getting a ton of this brown strings stuff all over my sand bed, corals, rocks, just everywhere. I was wondering if this is from the snails or is some kind of algae.

water parameters:
SG 1.025
temp 77
nitrates 0
phospates 0

img_950058_0_c1c0bd4f011754922971a39d4e17f24e.jpg

img_950058_1_11fa81d9a252747c7ba8feb5b9fdbc10.jpg

I have a ASM skimmer rated for 70 gallons on about 30 or so gallons of water. I also have a refugum that is very large for the tank. Probably about a third of the volume of the tank or so with macro growing. I had been feeding a bit more for a couple of days since i got some new fish and wanted to make sure they were getting enough food. Even with the extra food i would think i have plenty of nutrient export to handle the extra load.

So i'm not sure what this is. Anyone help me out?

Looks like cyano.
I hate vermetid snails. I super glue them shut.

I guess i'll try some of that cyano killer stuff and make sure i'm careful about feeding. I've had cyano but it always grew in sheets. This is just really stringy. It says that stuff is reef safe but i'm always a little worried about it. I have a RBTA in there right now. That stuff won't hurt it will it?

Yeah i really don't like those snails either. I've been trying to pull them off with tweezers and had little sucess. I'll have to try the super glue thing. Thats a good idea.

I'd really REALLY try and deal with the cyano without meds. While it WILL get rid of the cyano, it won't get rid of the source.

I will cut back on feeding and the nutrient export i have should be enough to take care of it. I tested my water today and nitrates and phosphates were both 0

I don't understand where this stuff is coming from. I did a big water change a day or two ago. I've only been feeding a few pellets dropping them in a few at a time so almost all of them get eaten. I have a huge skimmer and a large fuge with cheato growing in it. It still comes back. Very annoying.

I agree it is cyano.

Is this showing up in a very low flow area? It looks like its in a sheltered area of the tank and my guess is it's somewhat of an eddy there and detritus and other nasty stuff kind of collects there and fuels it. Best thing to do is siphon out the cyano along with some of the sand maybe 1/4" of the sand in that area to remove all traces of any "gunk". Make sure that you skimmer is cleaned out really well too. Drain it if you have to and get any accumulated junk out of it as well.

cyano was my thoughts too. I have had great luck with just increasing the flow to the areas with the cyano.

Well i tried the additional flow because it was recommended and also because that has helped when i was first cycling the tank and i had cyano. Now i am even more confused though. It sure looks like cyano but when i turned the pump for additional flow it is now growing on the glass directly in the high flow of the pump i moved. I've reduced feeding to every other day so i'm a little confused as to where its getting the nutrients to grow. I'm wondering if it just grows so much faster then the macro in my fuge that its out competing it for nutrients. I would reduce my lights but i have an anemone in the tank that is already not happy with my lights.

It is an RBTA that got moved into my tank when one of our other tanks with better lighting was having problems. It has now crawled off that nice little rock into two other large pieces of rock in my tank that i can't move or take out. I'm currently looking into better lighing for it but as of right now i can't reduce my lighing period. I'm running out of ideas to get rid of this stuff.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I never heard of cyano growing on the glass. Someone with more experience will have to chime in on this one. :(

Test your source water again and make sure you aren't introducing nitrates of phosphates to the system that way. You may need to do several PWCs over the course of a couple of weeks to really get the nutrient level down. Cyano can grow onto the glass or any other surface in the tank it's all about where the "food" for it is. Next PWC you do siphon out some of the sand in the area that the cyano is growing. You may also want to run some mechanical filtration for awhile to help things along. Clean out your sump and make sure there is no detritus collecting anywhere else in your system.

Ok so here is the latest. Did another water change last night (15-20%). Cleaning out the sump and fuge making sure there was no build up and all that/ scraped out any undesirable algae in the fuge. Also siphoned out the back chambers of the tank (nano cube) getting anything that has settled in the bottom there. Cleaned off the rocks and any holes that i know collect poo. Also sucked out a bunch of the algae itself. I added some of the cyano meds to the water change water as well.

I know many of you don't like the cyano meds but i have eliminated any source of nitrates i can find and cut back feeding again. I've had good luck with the meds once i have eliminated the source. It helps get the last little bit of it out that i find is very difficult to get rid of otherwise because it can absorb nutrients so much faster then the macro.

Anyway, i also tested both the tank and the source water for nitrates and phosphates. Everything came back at 0.

After 12 hours with the meds and water change the algae is uneffected and actually seems to be growing the best in the high flow of the pump outputs on the glass. I can say with some certanty it is not cyano. I will give it another 10 or so hours and check back in tonight.

It might be getting a little bit better (hard to tell) and i am sure i can get rid of it with continued go practice of water changes, reduced feeding, and siphoning it out just like any other nucience algae. So at this point i am just curious to know what it is. Never seen any thing like it. I can get a few more pictures of it on the glass if it will help.

Back
Top Bottom