algae + plants, I need to prevent a disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antimoine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I need help with one of my tanks.
I have a planted tank (33 gallons, aquaclear filter, new aquaglo neon) and it started to deteriorate last week. I now have brown algae and some sort of stringy stuff on the plants, they're getting brown on the edges and i also lost 2 fishes (I think).

Just to help here are the results of my last test : 0 nitrite, 20ish nitrates, 0 ammonia and a ph of 7.2.

Fishes in the tank are:
5 rummy nose
6 neons
6 rasboras
3 danios
1 loach
1 kribensis
and 3 shrimps (which are usually cleaning the algae)

I've addes a few pics to try to show it

If someone knows what to do please help

Thanks

Attachments

• 1_529.jpg
    1_529.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2_953.jpg
    2_953.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 3_189.jpg
    3_189.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 4_186.jpg
    4_186.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 22
Unfortunately, I think some of your plants are not true aquatic plants. It's difficult to get any solid IDs from the picture but the plant in the center is definitely not an aquatic, and the plant to the far left is likely not either. Many LFS sell non-aquatic plants, and while most of these will survive for a while in your tank, eventually they start to die.

What is the wattage of your lights? If your watts/gallon is too low, the plants will struggle. If it's too high, you'll need to add nutrients and CO2. Somewhere in the middle you can grow plants with minimal additional stuff but we need to know where you stand on light.

Not sure why you'd be losing fish too, but if you have a lot of plant material breaking down it could be affecting your water quality. I'd suggest a large water change for now and then go from there.

The brown algae looks like diatoms. Does it brush of fairly easily? If so, its Diatoms which are fairly common in new tanks and usually goes away within a few weeks.

I agree with Newfound that it looks like you have several plants that aren't true aquatics. They should be removed promptly so that they don't pollute the water further as they continue to deteriorate.

Back
Top Bottom