algae problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive been having an issue with some algae. It looks like a brown stringy slim. I have inverts in my tank but only two snails are cleaning it idk why, I have more and they move they just arnt doing much. I beleve my problem started with my six line dying. Idk what caused his death tho. Maybe he tried to eat a bristle worm that was to big or maybe my other fish did it. Anyways I think that was the start. Then I was talking to this guy about a clean up crew and he told me I need a crazy amount of nass snails. So I order then 385 to be exact it was a ebay deak for 26 bucks. Put them in there within a couple days my take has greatly increased in the slime. It looks horrible. And I want it gone. I gave a bunch of snails away im prolly around 125 nass snails now. They dont do anything for my sand in which thats what I heard they are for. My astera and turbos do ok, and I have some crabs that move around. Would spaying the algae off help any? Or atleast help my snails to keep it under control? Thanks

Ive been having an issue with some algae. It looks like a brown stringy slim. I have inverts in my tank but only two snails are cleaning it idk why, I have more and they move they just arnt doing much. I beleve my problem started with my six line dying. Idk what caused his death tho. Maybe he tried to eat a bristle worm that was to big or maybe my other fish did it. Anyways I think that was the start. Then I was talking to this guy about a clean up crew and he told me I need a crazy amount of nass snails. So I order then 385 to be exact it was a ebay deak for 26 bucks. Put them in there within a couple days my take has greatly increased in the slime. It looks horrible. And I want it gone. I gave a bunch of snails away im prolly around 125 nass snails now. They dont do anything for my sand in which thats what I heard they are for. My astera and turbos do ok, and I have some crabs that move around. Would spaying the algae off help any? Or atleast help my snails to keep it under control? Thanks

Tangs will solve your prob

I have a 125 I would like to have a kole and salfin what do you think

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a huge hair algae outbreak on my 34 gallon tank...basically I went out and bought a hang-on refugium with a 6 pack variety of macro algae and close to 3 dozen blue leg hermit crabs and an algae blenny turned my lights off for 3 days and it was nearly gone and that was 3 months ago.as of right now there is no algae at all.and the hermit crabs as well as the same snails you have which are black only come out the eat the left over food the fish don't eat..between the crabs picking at the rocks all day and the snails mixing up the sand my tank has never looks so good

Its no so much hair algae its more of a slime. Also, idk if this is true and would like to know the answer. Will crabs kill the snails for there shells? With my tank idk if turning the lights out for days would be a good thing because I do have coral in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian's far as the hermit crabs there so much smaller than the snails so that isn't a problem.i have an SPS dominant tank that is more effected by the lights and I didn't have a problem.if its red slime ..how high are your phosphates?how offer do you do water changes?do you use RO/DI water?

Ill have to check my phosphates right quick I do 10% every week. I also have a rodi that I use for anything that I do with my tank. I also just hooked up a gfo and carbon reactor.

Red slime is cyano algae and none of the things your doing will take care of it. There are chemicals you can add to get rid of it but also during water changes siphon out the slime.

Excuse me... Lol I consider it algae as it looks like it but what your describing sounds like cyano.

I would lower the amount of daylight you have in half if it doesn't improve I'd go less..how many power heads do you have?I would manually remove it and add more power heads..increased flow will prevent it from taking a hold on anything in the tank.most corals grow in shallow waters near the surf where current is at its highest ,you want to replicate that as much as possible and you'll never have an algae(bacteria-cyno) problem

Lower nutrients, dont worry about what test kit reads the algae is consuming it so you will get a false reading. Chemiclean will kill it but if you still have high nutrients it will come back!

So would that be the amount of food I use? I use a half a cube twice a day for my 4 chromis 2 clowns and 2 dragon gobies. But I just have done this over the last couple days. Also they love brine shrimp that what I have now I was using something else but a whole cube they didnt really like I dont think.

Just a quick note. Since ceano is a bacteria it does not rely on light to grow. It will stay if you don't physically remove it then it will gradually slow down and disappear once you have the right bacteria to take over.

So would that be the amount of food I use? I use a half a cube twice a day for my 4 chromis 2 clowns and 2 dragon gobies. But I just have done this over the last couple days. Also they love brine shrimp that what I have now I was using something else but a whole cube they didnt really like I dont think.

Wow! That is a lot of food! I feed my fish twice a week. Sundays and Wednesdays. And I have six fish, they get a small pinch of pellets and maybe 1/8th of a shrimp cube.

Back
Top Bottom