Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medic3166

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 37h aquarium that was set up and running for about two weeks before adding fish. Currently I have 3 small koi (will be going in a pond once it's built in the spring) two orandas (I think) and a pleco.

The water was crystal clear when adding the fish a week ago, and within a few days green algae started to bloom.
The only tester I have is for ammonia, and is showing none. I've done 10% water changes twice since then, and tried algae control.
I'm currently leaving the tank light off until it clears up. Any other suggestions? The first pic is the day after I added the fish, the second is about a week later.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417618469.908532.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417618503.927985.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long are the lights on? Need to do more than 10% water change 1 time a week to get that handled. Here's my recommendation, as it looks like the algae is in the water column not on the glass.

Keep the light off. Do a 70% water change and fill it back up. Let it run for a few days, do a 50 percent change, let it run for a couple of days and then stick with a 30 percent 2 times a week until the water parameters are stable.

After the water is clear keep your lights on for 2 hours a day, after a week with no issues up it to 4, and so on until your desired Time. Some people may say it's a bit excessive but it will definitely help your issue.

Algae Problem

Hello medic...

Don't fret over some algae growth. Algae is a natural part of the tank environment. It's an essential water filter and a healthy part of the fishes' diet. The stuff grows naturally in a healthy tank.

To keep it under some control, keep the water clean, don't feed too much and drop in some stems of Common water weed (Anacharis).

B

You'll need do weekly water changes and filter maintenance, feed once daily, no more than they can eat in 30 seconds.. lights on no more than 7 hrs. Daily..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello medic...

Don't fret over some algae growth. Algae is a natural part of the tank environment. It's an essential water filter and a healthy part of the fishes' diet. The stuff grows naturally in a healthy tank.

To keep it under some control, keep the water clean, don't feed too much and drop in some stems of Common water weed (Anacharis).

B

I know you don't read any further then the title. . Now it appears as though you're skipping pictures? ? Why bother???

I know you don't read any further then the title. . Now it appears as though you're skipping pictures? ? Why bother???

+1

I find it ironic that every other time he posts it's telling people to do water changes, but this time no mention of water changes.

I had been having the lights on for way too long, from like 7a till 10p. I have them off for now.

Yeah, keep them off for a bit especially because it didn't look like there were any live plants in the tank! So nothing really needs light to survive in there. Do some heavy water changes and then turn your lights on in increments of 2 hours once your water is clear! Should do the trick

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I used to have this aquarium set up for about 5 years in my old house and never had an issue with it. The last hood had a fluorescent bulb, this one is LED, but a lot brighter.

What brand led??

Thanks everyone. A whole bunch of water changes and some algae killer later and it's crystal clear. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418605264.718914.jpg

Back
Top Bottom