Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found that reducing the time that the lights are on continuously has the greatest impact, although reducing overall time is definitely in order. 3 cycles of 2 on, 2 off will be more effective than simply reducing to 6 straight hours.

Yes I agree that a split photoperiod is another tool to use, a total of 6 hours a day should be the max.

3 on rest 3 hours on
2 on rest 4 hours on
etc.

Yes I agree that a split photoperiod is another tool to use, a total of 6 hours a day should be the max.

3 on rest 3 hours on
2 on rest 4 hours on
etc.
I'm very familiar with the process of photosynthesis and your recommendations about light cycling seems promising. I do still recommend silicate removing media along with the lighting treatment. My 55 gallon has been going for 16 months now and I have no algae of any type in my tank. I turn the light on at 8am and leave it on until 8pm. Instead of full spectrum, I use a color enhancement bulb...but it's adequately bright.

I'm very familiar with the process of photosynthesis and your recommendations about light cycling seems promising. I do still recommend silicate removing media along with the lighting treatment. My 55 gallon has been going for 16 months now and I have no algae of any type in my tank. I turn the light on at 8am and leave it on until 8pm. Instead of full spectrum, I use a color enhancement bulb...but it's adequately bright.
Sounds like another great tool to control algae.

The difference in lighting spectrum may be helping, but I've been using silicate removing media in my canister since day 1. Maybe it's the combination?
I use a product by Seachem called PhosGaurd. It gets rid of phosphate and silicates.

The low phosphate probably has more to do with it than the low silicate. High phosphorous in lakes/rivers causes algal blooms often.
Your right. The silicates however have been ignored alot by water companies that treat and filter our tapwater wheras the phosphorus content is monitored and filtered to a great extent. It certainly is a problem when phosphates get high but just as much with the silicates. It never hurts to filter both. PhosGaurd is one of the media that I recommend and use.

Your right. The silicates however have been ignored alot by water companies that treat and filter our tapwater wheras the phosphorus content is monitored and filtered to a great extent. It certainly is a problem when phosphates get high but just as much with the silicates. It never hurts to filter both. PhosGaurd is one of the media that I recommend and use.
Either way you're limiting an essential nutrient. Any plant will only grow to the limitation of any one nutrient. If the silicate is essential to algae and it is not available, the algae will only grow to what is available regardless of the availability of other nutrients.

Think of a wooden barrel with planks of different lengths. The water will only fill up to the shortest plank, even if the others are much taller.

Figure-3.1.jpg

Here's a visual.

Edt: Woops, bunny beat me to it lol
I understand the barrel theory. My tank heas been running for 17 months now using PhosGaurd from day one. I have 5 Angels, 1 betta, 4 pygmy corys, and a school of 6 redeye tetras and never one spec of any species of algae. I also keep my tank light on 12 hours a day.

I understand the barrel theory. My tank heas been running for 17 months now using PhosGaurd from day one. I have 5 Angels, 1 betta, 4 pygmy corys, and a school of 6 redeye tetras and never one spec of any species of algae. I also keep my tank light on 12 hours a day.

Do you have plants in the tank?

Do you have plants in the tank?
Yes and no. I use a houseplant called Pothos. I put the cuttings in the back to root. The 8 inch cuttings are now about 3 feet long and thriving beautifully hidden by the background of my tank. Here's a pic of the back of my tank.20180413_164625.jpg

Ah, good then. No PO4 in the tank is good if it's not a planted set up. (y)
I only wanted a few large rocks and ornaments in the tank to give my Angels hiding places when they felt they needed them while keeping lots of swimming room, but I knew I needed plants to help keep down the nitrates. They're doing a terrific job.

I only wanted a few large rocks and ornaments in the tank to give my Angels hiding places when they felt they needed them while keeping lots of swimming room, but I knew I needed plants to help keep down the nitrates. They're doing a terrific job.
The Angels like the roots hanging in the tank as well. I have 1 small clump of roots about 2 inches under the water surface because of the tilting. My betta has adopted it as his nightly bed.

Back
Top Bottom