Algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my new tank up and running for about 3 weeks now. I started off with 24lbs of base rock, about 5lbs of LR, and @ big bags of LS about a 2" base. I have not been doing water changes as I am in the midst of the cycle, but over night, this ugly algea showed up. It is a rusty brown color and is easily blown off the rock. Is this normal for the cycling period, or should I get a snail or a few snails to clean it up? Here are my water levels as of yesterday:
pH-8.3
NO3- .01
NO2- .02
Ammon- 0
Salinity- 1.023
Let me know what you think...
Year 1 210.jpg

Don't add anything until your cycle is complete. You shouldn't even be doing water changes since your tank is still cycling. That will only prolong the entire process. Once your Ammonia and Nitrites reach 0ppm, and your Nitrates are below 30ppm.. you could start to add a clean up crew and maybe a small fish to start off with. Take things slow.

Ok, thanks for the QUICK advice... I will leave it be, I was just curious as to what showed up in my tank...

One more question...That shell in the picture on the left, I collected while snorkling about 50-100 yards of the coast. I put it in a bucket~2.5g with a powerhead on it for 24 hours. I put it in about 2 days ago and nothing has really changed. Is this considered safe or should I not make it standard pracitce?

I would imagine it being fine. I would let it sit out in the sun for a couple days to completely dry and kill anything on it. You don't want some weird HH coming in.

And as said above it should be OK but remember when you have things like that in the tank leftover food will usually get trapped under causing excessive nutrients in the tank that usually cause algea. You might need to pick it up weekly and vacuum the substrate there.

Back
Top Bottom