Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyRhoads

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this live rock for almost a month. When I got it there was one or two tiny hairs, and now they are growing into something that resembles grass. Can someone ID it for me please?

Attachments

• DSCN0851.jpg
    DSCN0851.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0852.jpg
    DSCN0852.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0853.jpg
    DSCN0853.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 71
Most likely hair algae, hard to tell from the pics tho. Scrub it off with a clean new toothbrush and siphon it out. Check your nitrates and phosphates.

It's bad for the tank? Aw, I kinda liked it. added to my otherwise bare tank. Nitrite and Nitrate are nonexistant.

Lol yeah unless you like the look of algae lol but it can take over a tank and grows fast. Normal for a new tank.

Hi there, I've had my tank up and going for nearly 2 years now and have had nothing but problems with hair algae, i let it grow a bit and before i knew it the whole tank was over run, I've been using a tooth brush and skimming all the bits out its dying off but now Im left with dead grass which is so hard to remove as it disintegrates when u touch it, Im not sure what else i can do, I've reduced the lightening and food! Any advice would be appreciated :)

A reactor with GFO/Phosban or whatever to reduce the phosphates will stop the growth of the algae. Then scrubbing it off will finish it off. Even if it is on a rock that can not be removed, having a skimmer and other filtration will solve the issue.

^not necessarily

If you have hair algae bad after 2 years id figure where your nutrient problem is coming from. If you dont your never Going to fix the problem.

Are you overstocked?
Do you overfeed?
Poor maintenance?
Unmaintained sandbed?
Nutrient traps? (floss, dirty equipment)

GFO is not a cure but will help. Skimming will not do much to solve the problem but will help prevent future ones.

Thanks for your comment, i only have 3 fish left after a a huge die off about a month ago, i scrub it and skim it with a net every other day and i have reduced the feeding and lighting, there was a red 'mist' this morning and now there is a brown sludge on my sand and rocks!

Back
Top Bottom