Algaeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Healthy fish, water tests are fine, but having a problem with what looks like brown algae all over my rocks and shells at the bottom. Have significantly reduced lights to about four hours a night. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

do you use distilled or even better yet ro/di water? or do you use tap water for your changes?

even using tap water just to top off can be a big problem with that since micro algae thrive on even a little added phosphates and other nutrients i have noticed. all of these are added to a municipal water supply specifically phosphorous to help take care of people with older piping. that in turn enters your system when you add it to any degree.

for a while i had "green water" where the water itself was actually green. it hasn't gone away totally but has died down quite a lot since i started using distilled water and now that i have added a phosphate eliminator in my HOB filter it and put the skimmer on full (pulling all kinds of green gunk out) and this week i am reducing the lighting to 5-6.5 hours a day and i think i am noticing it start to get even better. so there ya have it.

Back
Top Bottom