Alge what can i do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this alge going on in my gravel and decorations it wipes right off but what type is it and how can I prevent it my tank is not near a window and I have two t8 lights 12 on 12 off

ryan-peddle said:
I like it on the skull just not a fan of it on the gravel but I guess when I vac this weekend I can take care of it then

Yeah the skull looks totally rad :D LOL

Personally I think some algae especially a small amount is a good sign of a healthy tank and normal. Eventhough I have two plecos in my tank I still have some algae growth. What I do is turn all the lights off in my tank at night before I go to bed (I have too my tiger oscar gets really agressive with his reflection in the tank at night) except for my led lights that are on day and night and this also seems to cut down on the algae but yet still is some lighting for the fish and my oscar actually goes to sleep when I do this.

Tigroscr said:
Personally I think some algae especially a small amount is a good sign of a healthy tank and normal. Eventhough I have two plecos in my tank I still have some algae growth. What I do is turn all the lights off in my tank at night before I go to bed (I have too my tiger oscar gets really agressive with his reflection in the tank at night) except for my led lights that are on day and night and this also seems to cut down on the algae but yet still is some lighting for the fish and my oscar actually goes to sleep when I do this.

Yeah my lights go off every night

I got this alge going on in my gravel and decorations it wipes right off but what type is it and how can I prevent it my tank is not near a window and I have two t8 lights 12 on 12 off

Get a few oto's and nerite snails. You'll never see or scrape algae again. :lol:

hippy guy said:
Use flourish exel, not only does it grow plants, but it killls algea (and anacris)

I tried to find some with no luck no alge remover what so ever maybe if I can identify the type of alge I can figure out what to do you can see the color in the above pics but up close it almost looks hairy and green

You could take deco out one week, clean it in hot water and then do gravel next week. Or get some amano shrimp, they love that stuff :)

hippy guy said:
You could take deco out one week, clean it in hot water and then do gravel next week. Or get some amano shrimp, they love that stuff :)

Ok that sound like a solid plan I suppose I can just take the top layer of gravel and clean it but I am getting an ac200 and a fluval 405 so hopefully that will help too

It will help, but like I said, some shrimp will not only clean it up, they continue to prevent it by eating some more...there great cleaners, probobly the best considering low bioload high pop. Possibilities :)

hippy guy said:
It will help, but like I said, some shrimp will not only clean it up, they continue to prevent it by eating some more...there great cleaners, probobly the best considering low bioload high pop. Possibilities :)

Ok but I have
10 serpae
10 glowlights
10 cardinals
10 rummynose
2 snails
2 farlowella
1 pleco
In an 80 gallon I don't know if I have room?

Back
Top Bottom