all my fish are fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my yoyo loaches who i just got last saterday is fat who were not big at all.
my discus are getting big guts, my cory cats and a few others. they all look like they are pigging out. i only feed 3 times a days.so im not overfeeding.when i feed them all the food is gone in like 2 minutes. lol i just thought it was funny how big they all get after a week of being in my tank. and now they are getting chubby. i will feed them some pee's just to make somethings not plugging them up.and its not just out they grow tall too.
i just wanted to say how cool it is to see them grow so big and fast and to be so happy and if anyone else notice how rapid the growth of new fish is in there tanks?

3x a day ? wow, adopt me, I've been wanting 3 squares a day (just too lazy to cook !)

I feed mine once a day, maybe 2 times a day 2 days a week - that second feeding is usually some sort of veggie.

Maybe that's why they're picking at the algae all day - maybe I'm starving them !

maybe, i only feed that much because my discus need lots of food and good nutrietion to grow properlyas they are jevinle. so its split up well and all fish get enough but not to much or too little.
but my discus have also grown like an inch in a month. so i must be doing something right.
i dont know actually how much ur supose to feed certian fish. like my other two tanks i only feed in the morning and at night and only a pinch..
right now i have one sick discus in a qt tank and im told to feed him four times a day even if he doesnt eat. so its the same as what im supose to be feeding my other disucus.
its funny tho. the cory cats and loaches all come running for food. the loaches are right in there with all the other fish. i should get a video one day of the feeding frenzy that goes on.
lol noone gets hurt or left out they all eat as fast as they can.
they are very nice fish

ditto. I usually feed mine once a day with veggies, live food, or frozen bloodworms up to three times a week at night. I used to feed flake food in the morning, and alternate between frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp at night. I may get back on that schedule with what you are saying about your fish growing, and alternate between the frozen foods, veggies (now that I know how to serve them), and live brine shrimp.

When I first got 2 of my CAE's, they were small (only about 2-3") and skinny. I QTed them in a tank full of algea and let the algea in the tank they were going to permanently live in grow and by the time they were done cleaning both tanks, they are almost 5" now and really fat. (mind you, i have only had them for about a month.) I let them feed mainly on the algea, but supplement algea wafers 2x a week, just in case they aren't getting enough.

i usually feed frozen and some fruits and vegtables. lol not to much. and some new life spectrum.
i just got use to feeding them frozen and they just love it.
like its been 5 days since i got those loaches and they have definatly gotten way bigger.
and i had purchased some small ottos. and well they got huge after only a week.they now have been moved temporarly until the bigger tanks ready. but they kept sucking on my discus and gouramis aand were making them mad.
it could also have to do with the regular water changes i do. i do it every other day. so the water is very clean and stays the same. so if they dont get all the food i dont have to worry cause its always clean.

Could you bump it down to twice a day? I think the Discus would be fine with one less feeding. That way the other fish won't get too big. I don't think they are overeating...they just eat when their fed, which is alot IMO. I was worried about the water quality when I saw that you feed 3 times a day, but its good to know you are doing water changes every other day.

If you bump the feedings down to twice a day and they are still kind of fat looking, I'd try some deshelled green peas. That will help if they are constipated.

yah but they arent getting overfed. young discus should be fed many small feedings more times a day. instead of one big feeding or two. thats why i feed them that why. they are very happy and well. and i do what is best for them. I studied this fish for months before i even considered actually going out and buying them and according to many places they should actually be fed 6 times a day a bigger percentage says that.
i was already going to try the peas to make sure they arent and im not worried.
cause discus when they are even the littlest unhappy the go black.
and im not concerened with feeding.
just wondering if anyone had noticed the same thing.

I wasn't really referring to the Discus in my post, I meant the other fish really don't need to eat 3 times a day. I understand that the discus are juvies and need to eat more often, but your other fish are eating this much also, and probably don't need it.

If you can't cut it down to 3 (because of the discus) then I'd just try the peas and see if that helps.

I only feed my fish once a day...sometimes once every other day, but I don't keep anything that needs to eat more than that. My tetras are very greedy and the flames get bloated after they eat. One of my yoyos is really fat, but its because she is female.

When I got my yoyos, they were extremely skinny. I was really surprised when they got bigger because I didn't know that they were underweight at the time. Now they are huge...but it took a few months for them to get "fatter".

Most fish are really underweight in LFS, so they plump up when you get them home.

JustOneMore20 said:
Most fish are really underweight in LFS, so they plump up when you get them home.

That is especially true with loaches. Most fish I can't tell if they are underweight or not, but a healthy loach is a fat and active loach.

aaaaaaaaaaa

I have 2 fish that need to join Jenny Craig, too. One is an oto that literally looks like it swallowed a whole pea. But the 3 others in the tank are just normally plump. In another tank, one of the peppered cories looks like the inspiration for 'Big Momma's House'. And again, she is the only fat one in the tank. So in both cases I can reduce food, and I have a bit, but methinks someone is just better at getting to the food first. I will post pics after the weekend. Hopefully.

but methinks someone is just better at getting to the food first
That's how it is with my Flame tetras...they are the first ones to the top at feeding time and they overeat. Nothing I can do to help that. I just have to make sure everyone else eats too.

thats the thing i cant stop feeding my discus. cause every fish gets in a circle when its time to eat.
every ones happy and active.
i think maybe they are just big.
but yah im trying them just to be sure.

I feed mine once a day, and give them veggies every other day on top of the regular food (shrimp pellets, spirulina tablets, flakes, frozen worms, f/d shrimp, etc.)

i dont know how u guys can only feed ur fish once?
as animal/human whatever would u only want to eat once or every other day?
im not trying to start an agrument. im just wonder why as fish they shouldnt eat a couple times a day? where as other animals/creatures/whatever eat many times?
i never expected so many people to say that.

First of all i'm sure that when you feed them 3x a day they are spaced meals just like we eat, breakfast, lunch, and dinner lol. Also i'm sure your not feeding heavily, but rather feeding small meals more often. Also the idea of "fat" fish as in looking constipated isnt what was meant. The fish are healthy and large, not just fat in the belly but big healthy fish.
Also the water is very warm so the fishes metabolism is faster and they need more food.
in other words, the fish arent bloated and sick, they are just big healthy fish.
I feed my fish twice a day. I cut the feedings back to once a day if i have to, but almost always twice a day. I never go below once a day because i dont want to hurt the fish, some people do, but i dont like to do that.
If the fish are healthy i think you should continue what you are doing. If they are unhealthy or backed up you should keep an eye on the other fish for a couple days to make sure they are safe, feed peas if needed.

yes but you cant tell me that every fish in that tank is bloated from eating
the are growing all over round. and all fish are very happy. not problems.
i beleive that they should be fed at least two small feedings a day.
like how would u feel if your fed once and had to be stuffe d like a pig and get hungry later and not eat.
i must be doing something right if they are happy and healthy and growing super fast and good?

Well I agree with K, I fed my fish 3 times aday. I fed alight flake in the morning. Then around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I fed veggies with amix of flake food for those fish that don't eat veggies. Then in the evening around 6 or 7 they get froozen blood worms with live brine shrimp. everday. My Apisto Agssizii lays some of the prettest red eggs from the live food and that to me is a sign of being very health and shows she is getting the right balance of foods. Even the Kribs eggs show signs of being a tint of red to them. There again if they where in the wild and was getting the right foods they'd should have a red color to the eggs.
Most of my fish if there not hungery will just swim away from the food. Leaving it for the others. Now my new loachs areally skinney in my books and needs some fatten up. But right now they are living on snails and not eatting any of the foods I fed other then the live brine shrimp, but then again that's why I bought them. To rid 15 of my tanks of the hugh snail proplum in them. So far they have done 3 out of that 15, So hopfully they don't get to fed up with snail deit for awhile. LOL

really weasel. how long have u had ur loaches?
i got mine saterday and they never came up for food and now they are everytime. its cool.but i also have prolly 100 snails hidden in that tank thats why they are fat. trust me they will faten up fast.
Trust me loaches get the hang of it eventually. i just cant beleive they havent calmed down yet hyper funny creatures, they hide in the funniest places. What kind of loaches do u have?
well keep up the good work and enjoy them

I got them a week Monday, I got 1 skunk loach ,1 yo-yo loach , 1 I have no clue what the name of him is here's a picture of him and the yo yo the skunk hides at the frist sign of the camra.
ee0cb1d8.jpg

ee0cb21c.jpg

I got all 3 of aquabid from a guy who bought them to remove blck worms from killi mops and hd found abetter way to remove them. I got all 3 for $7.50 with shipping. Then he said the one that he didn't know the name of was rare in the hobbie. I have no clue as to the truth in that but hey for a buck for the 3 and $6.50 for shipping. I couldn't pass them up that's cheaper then going to petsmart and buying 1 clown here. They run $10.99 for 1 here. Plus 3's better then 1 when it comes to trying to get rid of my snails. LOL Plus they school togeather and are so freaking fun to whatch. I LMOA at the way they pull rocks up eat the snail and replace the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom