almost ready to add water.. few last minute questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nope, if it was, I'd wrap more tape around it. It's a slip fit.

I suppose I could get a double threaded bulkhead and purchase fittings for it.

I would use silicon before doing that. PVC cement would also work but it would be stuck for life. Heard anything from oceanic?

Wrap some teflon tape around the standpipe where it fits into to bulkhead. When you jam that bad boy back in, it'll push the tape up to the opening and might just be enough to form the seal you're lookin' for.

hey thats good.
i hadn't thought of using tape since there aren't any threads

i was never good at thinking outside the box

I thought about it but teflon tape will "pack". Once it is in it will only take a slight bump to break the seal. Some kind or plastic tape like electrical tape would probably work better. Anyone know of a issue with electrical tape adhesive?

hmm, at that point I'd be better off using silicone

i'll wait a few hours into tomorrows work day for oceanic to respond and then get the silicone out

Kind of surprised that Oceanic hasn’t replied yet :? Considering how much their reef ready tanks cost and how long they have been in the tank making businesses you would think they would make the overflows right in the first place or at least be quick to reply to any issues. I’ll be in the market for a reef ready tank soon and if they don’t resolve this issue soon I think I’ll be going with All-Glass although both use the “Mega-Flow” :roll:

Personally I’d use silicon before anything else as well. It’s easily replaceable at a later date if you ever have to redo it due to leaks again since the overflow is sealed well I assume. IMO I’d expect Oceanic to replace all parts for free under warranty and you shouldn’t have to do any adjustments.

Elzool - having read these posts, I believe you are a certified nut. :lol: Happy to make your aquaintance! Sounds like you're having the time of your life.

One thing though... don't try the skirt on.

Giddy doesn't begin to describe it, I'm thinking about wearing a skirt and everything I'm just so happy I'm finally at this point.

Believe me, with proper planning and working with these folks 'round here, you'll do just fine. Skirts aren't needed to be succesful in SW aquaria. 'Specially on guys. :roll:

elzool said:
ryguy said:
how are you planning on cycling your tank?
First I was going to use sea monkeys, but I heard that was cruel. Then I realized I didn't have any comic books to order them with so I decided I'd go the shrimp route.

you are too funny.... very enjoyable post :lol:

tecwzrd said:
Kind of surprised that Oceanic hasn’t replied yet :? I’ll be in the market for a reef ready tank soon and if they don’t resolve this issue soon I think I’ll be going with All-Glass although both use the “Mega-Flow” :roll:

I wouldn't let their lack of communication steer you one way or another as the address I was given for technical support was a kent marine address. When calling All Glass for this same issue yesterday, they gave me the same kent marine address. It's not jsut Oceanic that isn't responding. They appear to have one guy that supports via email. That's it. He may be busy with other peoples overflows and iguana cages and stuff.

So I'll call directly.

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!

Remember this picture?
gap.jpg

Last night I notice the space was gone. I thought, oh, good, the stand 'settled' like the lfs said it would and everything is happy.

Then I noticed the water line in the tank. It was lower in the middle than on the sides. The stand didn't settle. The tank was drooping as far as I could tell. About that same amount that the gap was initially too. Hmm... how convienient.

So today I'm calling Oceanic back as well as my lfs, I'll demand to speak to somebody at Oceanic and not wait for email guy to write back and see if I can kill two birds with one stone, the overflow leakage and the bowing.

I'll call the lfs as they do tank setup and maintenance and see if I can sweet talk them into coming out and looking at this. They told me the gap should be fine, I just don't think it is.

oh yeah.. and after thinking about it a few seconds I pumped the water into three brute trashcans. The gap is back.

I think that you definetely want to get the tank sitting flush before the water goes in. Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against a gap, but this isn't where you wanna find one! :)

just got off the phone with Oceanic and got email from the guy at kentmarine as well

Oceanic told me they get calls all the time about the gap and that it is not a problem at all.

They said 99% of the time the top trim isn't square, so it may appear that things are off kilter. We checked the level of the top of the trim and I found that was not level, it was high in the middle, I had checked the level off the bottom of the tank to start with and it was level, so Oceanic doesn't feel there is any problem but would call the store on my behalf if I felt uncomfortable with what I had and could arrange a new stand or tank. That was a very nice offer of them.

They also said I might call the lfs and see if they could come out and look at it, but just checking the level of the top of the trim settled me down quite a bit. Knowing that it has a high spot makes the 'dip' in the water easier to understand.

The email from kent marine said:
Having a small leak that is internal is not uncommon. They only
real way to prevent this is to glue the stand pipes in place. I would not
recommend this since it would be hard to remove them for maintenance. This
leaking will not affect the overflows working at all and it will not flood
the sump unless you have the sump level real high and the tank was off for
many hours.

That too satisfies me.

At this point I'll check levels all around once again and starting pumping water back in

now where did I put that skirt?

now where did I put that skirt?

Send pics! :lol:

Make sure it's a long one too - this is a family site after all. No spandex PLEEEZE! :roll:

I also recently had problems w/my 3 yr old 72g Oceanic tank. Sprung a leak. I couldn't find my receipt either. Called them and told them of my problem, and that the leak had damaged the particle wood stand. They told me to go where I bought it and get a new tank and stand. Just like that.

that's excellent... not the leak mind you, but the service after the fact

thats what my lfs told me too, that if there is a problem with the oceanic stuff, it's just replaced, period
that makes me feel good about my purchase

apparently my wife put the skirt into the goodwill box or something, oh well, maybe next time

sigh... my son dumped his sippy cup of chocolate milk into the 55 gallon trashcan full of water
this is gonna take longer than I thought

ryguy said:
who says fish don't like choco-milk?
hey, nobodys saying that

I'm just thinking that with everything else that I've gone through I don't want to add my first fish and have it die and have someone say, hey, your chocolate milk readings are a little high idiot, thats why the fish died

not that anyone would

Do Seachem or American Marine make a chocolate milk tester or probe?

austinsdad said:
Uh huh. Must have been spandex after all.
you caught me.... hey, superheroes can wear spandex.... why can't I?

Got to looking at your pics again and got to thinking (someone alert the press!). Seem to remember also some discussion about the RO/DI unit under there also and potential concerns about it.

Thought about mounting it in the washroom sink (if ya got one) instead? What are you gonna do to make salt water for your changes? I'm wondering if you might put a FW reservoir in that space instead and use the ro unit for fresh and SW needs.

Of course, I'm working with a 155g, but my unit is in my washroom near two 44g trashcans on wheels. One for SW and the other for FW. I roll'm out to the tanks and pump away.

Nice call, austinsdad.

I agree, your RO should be somewhere else with a Y connector, with one line running to your sump and the other to something like a kent float valve in a rubbermaid tub for top off water.

That would be ideal! I have that setup and have place a simple 1/4" ballvalve on the tubing right before the rubbermaid tub. When it's WC time, I crank open the valve and let the tub fill and walk away knowing that the float valve will shut it off when the tub gets to the right level.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom