Already outgrew 6.6 gallon- Newbie error

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iwtrclr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought two small goldfish an Oranda and a telescope. We have been doing fine for the last 2 months, but I am having to clean the tank 2 times a week to keep my levels good. 25% at a time. They seem to be growing fast and I really do not believe I am overfeeding them. I am now looking at a 29 gallon tank...is this about right for these two? Can any other fish be added or will it be a two fish scene?

A 29gallon would be fine for those goldfish, but you wouldnt be able to add any other fish. A good rule to follow for fancy goldfish is 20gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for each additoinal one.

Iwtrclr said:
I bought two small goldfish an Oranda and a telescope. We have been doing fine for the last 2 months, but I am having to clean the tank 2 times a week to keep my levels good. 25% at a time. They seem to be growing fast and I really do not believe I am overfeeding them. I am now looking at a 29 gallon tank...is this about right for these two? Can any other fish be added or will it be a two fish scene?

That is the absolute minimum and probably won't last for the life of the fish. Particularly if it's the dimensions of the one I had, tall narrow and none too long. I'd go for a 40g myself.

A 29g would be a huge improvement on a 6g!!! But, as it already has been mentioned, they will in time outgrow this as well. Not tomorrow or next month but in a few years or sooner. A full grown oranda & moor can both max out over 12inches with proper diet & care. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

A 29g would be a huge improvement on a 6g!!! But, as it already has been mentioned, they will in time outgrow this as well. Not tomorrow or next month but in a few years or sooner. A full grown oranda & moor can both max out over 12inches with proper diet & care. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Respectfully, I've never heard of Orandas or Moors getting to over 12 inches. To my understanding, that's common, comet, and shubunkin territory.

In my opinion (and they'll vary), you will be ok with 29 gallons, but it is the absolute minimum, and you'll want filtration rated for a 50-60 gallon tank. Based on my reading, typical body lengths for Orandas and Moors are more on the order of about six inches (again, this is body length and does not include finnage), though well cared-for, 8 inches or so isn't unheard of. While specimens may have been known to grow larger than this, I would think it relatively rare, and on the tail-end of the bell curve, size wise.

Even at 29 gallons with double filtration, though I think it will be manageable, the tank will require frequent gravel vacuuming and water changes. You will also want to try for a tank with as much water surface area as possible to maximize oxygenation. That said, a tank larger than 30 gallons will make maintenance easier, so I think you should consider it if you can, but again, I think 29 gallons, in most instances with normal sized fancy specimens is manageable.

Best!

Sorry, Russell, but fancy goldfish with the proper care and housing DO grow this large (and larger). I own a moor nympth (technically called a willow) that is almost a year old- he is already over 8inches and he technically is still a baby. I expect him to easily max out well over 12inches. And thanks to finding the AGA's number three breeder within driving distance of my house, I have seen pearlscales larger than grapefruits, ryukins, orandas and moors that are all atleast 12inches. But heres an older thread with pics of moors over 12inches- one I even posted from my local pond store. Still waiting for them to take my offer because I know exactly what they paid for them (and no one else does). You need to see the fish in person to appreciate them. It all comes down to adequate housing and care- without it, this obviously will not happen to a fish that has genetic potential.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/unbelievable-goldfish-183834.html

edit- link didnt work, be back with right one GoldfishConnection.com

Back
Top Bottom