Am I a breeder now?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well my new babies are eating well hopefully there won't be as many fatalities from this spawn as i have my bbs hatching down and its a little smaller than the last spawn

I was in the LFS today getting a sponge filter and some bloodworms and i seen some lovely viel/ribbon tails there, I'm very tempted to get 2 and hope they start to breed in 6 months or so but I wasn't sure if they would be ok in my tank with the other pair and 6 tetra its a 40G tank also they were a little young to sex i think they all looked like males but im not the best at sexing what do you think I should do?

The pair i have breeding are great breeder but not the best markings etc and i would like to have quality stock but then again i haven't got a spawn up enough to see what kind of markings they will produce and from what i hear anything can emerge from past blood lines

I think i will get them if they will be ok in my tank but really like s second opinion from more experienced people

Well my new babies are eating well hopefully there won't be as many fatalities from this spawn as i have my bbs hatching down and its a little smaller than the last spawn

I was in the LFS today getting a sponge filter and some bloodworms and i seen some lovely viel/ribbon tails there, I'm very tempted to get 2 and hope they start to breed in 6 months or so but I wasn't sure if they would be ok in my tank with the other pair and 6 tetra its a 40G tank also they were a little young to sex i think they all looked like males but im not the best at sexing what do you think I should do?

The pair i have breeding are great breeder but not the best markings etc and i would like to have quality stock but then again i haven't got a spawn up enough to see what kind of markings they will produce and from what i hear anything can emerge from past blood lines

I think i will get them if they will be ok in my tank but really like s second opinion from more experienced people

It's been my experience that it is NEVER a good idea to have other Angels in a tank with breeders unless the tank is VERY long or there is a divider in the tank. Being able to see another Angelfish can help induce spawning from a pair but being able to get to another Angelfish can lead to dead Angelfish. It's your choice. :whistle:
FYI, in my breeder row, all the tanks have backgrounds between the tanks that only cover about 3/4 of the glass. The fish see each other at feeding times but the slates are all in the area that is covered so they can breed in peace. It's the best of both worlds. (y)

Damb :(
I was hoping i would get away with a pair of young fish with them until I get more tanks set up they really are nicer than I have seen before
Would they be ok in one of my other tanks that i will be adding fry too when they outgrow there small tank would they make it to much competitionfor food for the younger ones?

Bottom line, you need more tanks if you want more fish. Mixing larger and smaller Angels usually winds up with larger Angels only. I don't even mix spawns that are more than a couple days different in age. Your small fish are going to need all the comfort and room to grow that you can give them. More work than a pair needs. I suggest you keep things separate. If you want to raise some fish for new breeders, set up a tank for them alone. Want to raise babies, set up a tank for them alone. Overcrowding and competition will slow the growth rate down tremendously as well as cause the smaller fish to not get enough food. You will see different growth rates in each spawn so you need to be prepared for removing the larger fish to another tank once they reach about 60 days old. All this requires tank space. ( Uh oh, I hear a jingle coming on...... More tanks, more tanks, you need more tanks. :whistle: )
Welcome to being a breeder. ;) (y)

Looks like I'll have to move in to the garage then, at least it has a solid floor ;)
I think I'll pick them up tomorrow and put them in one of my grow out tanks temporarily and start hunting for a 70G tank to have as a grow tank in the garage hopefully I'll get one set up b4 my fry out grow 1 x 40G

Congrats on getting the breeding bug and GREAT advice on the topic from Andy!:thanks:
Somewhere I believe he mentioned 4 tanks per breeding pair,and the sizes.:angel:
You definitely want to find a 4-6' growout as mentioned.(y)
I do this with my rams and have aprox. 400 + gallons dedicated after 1 year.:cool:
Enjoy and make friends with a good LFS.
The one that charges the most is always a good start $ !
Dollar per gallon is NOW!
Get some 20 longs and 40Bs!

Well i done some shopping today and this is what I've ended up with
Any advice on sex and breeds would be great i think i have the sex down but unsure about the dark one mostly

and a 4ft tank for $20 with minor damage (one of the top supports was broken due to a filter catching fire and cracking it)

I believe the bottom is a gold veiltail ( can't tell if the color is gold or white on my 'puter), the other is a silver veiltail but the dark one, looks like a mixed breed to me. Some may call it a smokey? Look up articles by Dr. Jean Norton and you can find a library of all accepted colors of Angelfish. Anything else are considered hybrids or mix breeds.

Well she's getting ready to spawn again and by the size of her it's going to be a big spawn.
I noticed her cleaning the glass earlier so i moved my clay pot over there then she started cleaning a leaf of a plant (thats not very healthy) so i put another clay pot in and she still seems like she's going to spawn on the plant :(
More of my worries is where i will put them i haven't been able to get a gallon jar that my pot will fit in (one that i have has a narrow opening)
At what stage do you transfer your fry into larger tanks? My first lot are only about 10 days old are they still too young to go in to a 35G?

Well she's getting ready to spawn again and by the size of her it's going to be a big spawn.
I noticed her cleaning the glass earlier so i moved my clay pot over there then she started cleaning a leaf of a plant (thats not very healthy) so i put another clay pot in and she still seems like she's going to spawn on the plant :(
More of my worries is where i will put them i haven't been able to get a gallon jar that my pot will fit in (one that i have has a narrow opening)
At what stage do you transfer your fry into larger tanks? My first lot are only about 10 days old are they still too young to go in to a 35G?

Aghhhhh ��
I done 50% water changes yesterday in my fry tanks and when i got in today and went to feed there were alot dead, i matched the water temps ok and only added "showmaster" water conditioning salts hadn't time to check my parameters yet today. I did check ammonia yesterday and had 0.25 in my youngest tank that's why i done the changes but the others had 0 ammonia

I'm finished work in 1 hr and will be going to get seachem prime to add to tanks then and check all levels but have you any ideas or advice?

I usually start my eggs in a 10 gal tank with only 5 gals of water. Once they hatch, I start removing the M blue and add about a gallon of water daily until it reaches the 10 gals ( 9 gals actually). Then it's small water changes daily to siphon out the uneaten food.
If I start the eggs in a smaller tank, I move them ( acclimating them slowly) into a 10 gal about 3 or 4 days after starting feeding live baby brine shrimp. They stay there until they are about 30 days old then get moved into a grow out tank.
I can only assume that the rise in ammonia was because of over feeding. That said, I am not a proponent of large scale water changes on any fish. I would rather do a small percentage change daily over a larger scale every few days. You need to get a seasoned sponge filter into the tank with the higher ammonia and use some PRIME to detoxify the ammonia until the BB converts it. PRIME will make the ammonia non toxic so it will still read high on your test kit but not be hurting the fry. You'll need to keep tabs on the nitrites as well and add PRIME every other day until the nitrites go back to 0

I think I covered everything? :blink" :thumb" Hope it helps

Well i've just tested all my tanks
I had a huge nitrite spike in the tank with the oldest fry in it it's reading 5 (top off the scale) so i dont really know how high it is but thats after the 50% change yesterday so i dosed with 5 x the amount of prime (what's recommended on the bottle). Whats really annoying me is that i hadn't a single loss in the last 4 days in this tank now nearly half of them have been wiped out :'(

The other tank with the younger fry has no nitrite and 0.25 ammonia again. i think the main reason for losses in that tank was just some that hadn't ate the same as i had at the start with the other fry and just a few extra because of the ammonia so i dosed it with the normal dose of prime

Unfortunately these little guy's came so quickly that i had to just set up tanks and put them in with out getting them cycled and as i never had an issue with tanks i hadn't heard of prime

So im going to do a 50% water change now and add prime to the new water check the water this evening and see if it has taken the nitrite down from 5 to a readable level

My new additions are doing well but there tank isn't cycled yet so i dosed it and will have to keep a good eye on it for the next while

Well i done 50% water changes it has brought the nitrites down to 2ppm but my first spawn of frys are all staying in a bunch at the top corner of the tank they really aren't acting normal i think they'll be gone by morning :(

Actually I just thought of a possibility as i was typing probably nonsense but I'll say it. As i had no BS net for a long time and was just adding the BS straight along with the salt water it would have made the water density higher now they are in fresh water would it cause them to float? Or is it just me that's too dense?

I done the same water change with the younger ones and they are all around the bottom where they have always stayed when they were so young

The only difference is the slight bit more prime I used in with the elder one's as it was the tank with the high nitrites so i can't see how the water change has caused it

Less likely to change water density(SG) with small amount of salt water,
But chance of adding bacteria(this is why you rinse.)

I realised the density thing after i posted if it was the case they would be sunk not floating it looks like some of them are starting to get down a little bit but they are struggling i can't find anything on line that may cause it other than air bladder problems but cant see how it only effected them after the water change

She has spawned again i think I'll see how they get on with this spawn them self it'll give me a chance to get the other tanks cycled and ive learned NEVER do a large water change with fry what i thought before i checked the water when i seen the nitrite i mistakenly put it down to that

I would suggest you get a number of sponge filters and set them up in an established tank to get inoculated so that when your wigglers turn to swimmers, just replace the airstone with a filter and you are good to go. OR, here's what I do: All my fry tanks start with a new, cleaned filter then a squeeze from the established sponge in the parent's tank. This filter follows that spawn into grow out tanks then sale tanks until they are sold. I have no ammonia or nitrite issues because I don't overfeed and do small daily water changes. This might help you as well.
As for the bloating, the ammonia and nitrite spikes can cause the fry to get bloat because the water conditions are poor and that's one of the quickest ways to get bloat in fish. That is probably the reason for your fish's situation more than adding the BS water ( although it is also possible you introduced a bacteria which could have caused the condition.)
This is Angelfish breeding. It's all fun and games until you really get overwhelmed with fry. ;) Just keep at it. (y) The good news is that Angelfish give you lots of chances to screw up until YOU get it right. ;) As I've said before, there are no shortcuts to being a successful breeder. Get the right equipment, use the right tank sizes and things should go a lot smother for you. (y)

Hope this helps.

Thanks andy I didn't have as many losses over night as i thought i was going to have but still a fair few I'll swap some of my filters over to the parent's tank later and try get the Bb built up in them maybe it'll speed up my cycle's

Back
Top Bottom