Am I almost cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjs2115

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about 7 weeks in. My tap water tests around .25 ammonia, so there isn't much I can do about that. I use Prime and do frequent water changes.
I have never seen any traces of trites? Is that normal?
My question is - does it look like I am gaining trates, or is that still considered a zero?

Thanks!

Attachments

• API.jpg
    API.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 98
Are you doing a fishless cycle? Or fish in cycle? If you are doing a fishless cycle are you dosing your tank with ammonia to 4ppm?

No I have fish in there now. Everyone seems healthy and alert

That's what I thought and that's what I wanted to ask about.
1) is is possible to miss the trite spike, because of water changes?
2) does that picture look like I have trates?

It looks like you have some nitrates, but are heavy on the ammonia. I'd say you're not quite done.

You'd usually see something BUT what size is the tank and what are the 3 fish and their size? It's hard to tell from that picture if there is a touch of orange to the yellow for nitrates. Does it look yellow or is it barely a yellow orange. Technically you could have done enough WC's to remove all nitrites from the tank which means you wouldn't get nitrates but that is highly unlikely. You may actually need more fish depending on the size of your tank and the size of your fish since there are only 3 of them.

Oh I have more than 3 in there.
It's 29 gallon.
I have 6 black skirt tetra, 2 bolivian rams, 4 guppies and a clown pleco.

Yeah I messed up. Used a friend's old filter and thought that meant i was cycled and could add fish.
Luckily everyone seems to be doing well!!

Okay then don't sweat it. You have to do the WC's for the health of the fish so just keep monitoring your cycle and do the WC's as needed.

So I could be looking at another month or so, before it's cycled still?

So I could be looking at another month or so, before it's cycled still?

Since each tank is different it's just hard to say. Just keep you eye on your ph as you don't want it to get to 6.5 or lower as that can cause another set of cycling problems.

Since each tank is different it's just hard to say. Just keep you eye on your ph as you don't want it to get to 6.5 or lower as that can cause another set of cycling problems.

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. My PH is like 8.0

Just curious, what kind of problems if PH goes below 6.5?

When ph drops to 6.5 or below biological activity slows and when ph drops to 6 or below biological activity stops and BB begins to die off.

Thanks. What would be the ideal PH for cycling?
My tap water is 7.6.
After a day, the PH drops to about 7.2

I got some crushed coral but haven't added it to the tank yet.

Thanks. What would be the ideal PH for cycling? My tap water is 7.6. After a day, the PH drops to about 7.2 I got some crushed coral but haven't added it to the tank yet.
Tap water that's 7.6 gassing off to 7.2 will make some people jealous. ;-)

Thanks. What would be the ideal PH for cycling?
My tap water is 7.6.
After a day, the PH drops to about 7.2

I got some crushed coral but haven't added it to the tank yet.

Anything above 7.0 IMO is good for cycling. Just watch ph as the cycle continues as some times it takes a big drop during the nitrite part of the cycle.

Anything above 7.0 IMO is good for cycling. Just watch ph as the cycle continues as some times it takes a big drop during the nitrite part of the cycle.

Thanks. I got 2 filter bags (each 1 cup) filled with crushed coral.
is it ok just to bury them in the sand?

I hope this will keep the PH above 7.

You could but honestly they will leach much better if left where water from the filter or a powerhead would blow/run over it.

You could but honestly they will leach much better if left where water from the filter or a powerhead would blow/run over it.

Alright. I will try to fit them in the canister filter or in a place where water flows.

Back
Top Bottom