am I cycled??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did water changes on my 60 gallon with only 3 fish in it twice a day got about 3 weeks to get thru cycle because ammonia shoot up to 4ppm then was followed by nitrites of the charts. My fish are still alive today because of multiple water changes and Prime water conditioner.
So yes 2 fish can still be very messy when in a cycling tank that spikes ammonia and nitrites not to mention the nitrates will be off the charts in 3 weeks with no water change which is also deadly to fish.
So you will still be looking at probly a complete tear down sanitation and starting all over again when you get back just leaving the mollies in there. You would be better off to leave the shrimp in there and re home the mollies if you are going to be gone that long

Tipton.. What is the point of putting these mollies in the tank to suffer and die? All you needed was the raw shrimp or two.

I don't know if you've kept saltwater fish before but this will become expensive with the I don't care attitude.

There is no possible way I will be able to do pwc. I don't if I leave the mollies or shrimp in there. It doesn't matter to me, I'm trying to get it's cycled while I'm gone so when I back I can do my partial water change and then be able to add fish. The mollies are there just to cycle the tank and nothing more

I don't understand why you are using fish AND raw shrimp. the raw shrimp will cycle the tank.

Leaving fish in there for three weeks with a decaying shrimp is cruel and serves absolutely no purpose. As others have stated, you will come back to a mess. You will need more than a "partial" water change as you put it.

Thank you. That's all I needed to know. Ill take the mollies out and leave the shrimp.

If you are doing it this way I would suggest to put a couple of fresh raw shrimp in right before you leave. That way you will have the best chance of them continuing to decay and produce ammonia the whole time you are gone.

We are tough because we love the fish.
We are fish keepers and don't want to see any fish tortured un necessarily. Some times things happen out of or control and we loose fish but they should never ever be left to certain death for any reason.

I agree there's no need for a fish in cycle But if someone dont want to heed my/your/our advice we cant hold a gun to there head. I try to keep things friendly but i see a lot of folks get jumped because of common mistakes

Nothing wrong with a fish in cycle as long as water changes are done. I cycled my tanks with fish in but do daily and sometimes twice daily water changes

Grizz said:
I agree there's no need for a fish in cycle But if someone dont want to heed my/your/our advice we cant hold a gun to there head. I try to keep things friendly but i see a lot of folks get jumped because of common mistakes

We were being friendly. I can get a lot less friendly lol. But yea we didn't say don't do a fish in cycle, we just said that it won't work if he's going to be away for 3 weeks. Lol

That makes since! Well I have left for Colorado.everything is left up to my grandma. Hopefully it will be cycled and ready for fish when I get back

Back
Top Bottom