Am i evil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antipixx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So for about 3 months I've been breeding guppies for the sole purpose of feeding the fry to my beta. Am I evil?

it depends on how u look at it. some people breed mice for snakes. some breed crickets for snakes. in the wild its all natural. in captivity we just help what hapens in the wild.

it is all relative...but is Guppy fry the best for your Betta? I think a High quality pellets is fine, that is all I use with the occasional veg he steals from the Oto catfish he is housed with.

I'm a firm believer in Live and let Live. :cool:

Seeming that you aren't just breeding guppies to kill for no reason, I don't see you as evil. I hope the guppies are cared for properly though... :ermm:

I breed guppies for the simple reason that I looove them. So my 1 fry is happily growing in a breeding net, while I suspect three of my females are pregnant. I am not planning on feeding the fry to my snails or my rainbow shark.

You are feeding your fish with other fish...

Evil NO! But a bit cold, yes... ;)

You might want to vary the diet...... a complete protein diet can't be good for your fish.....

Do I think you're evil? Only if you place a guppy in the betta tank and then drool all over yourself while you cheer on the betta.....

I do vary his diet feeding him peas an such but he just loves to eat a little guppie every now an then about two a week . I think he looks better for his coloring is some of the darkest red I've seen on a beta.

LyndaB said:
You might want to vary the diet...... a complete protein diet can't be good for your fish.....

Do I think you're evil? Only if you place a guppy in the betta tank and then drool all over yourself while you cheer on the betta.....

Not quite but I do watch

Lotsofbabies said:
I'm a firm believer in Live and let Live. :cool:

Seeming that you aren't just breeding guppies to kill for no reason, I don't see you as evil. I hope the guppies are cared for properly though... :ermm:

I breed guppies for the simple reason that I looove them. So my 1 fry is happily growing in a breeding net, while I suspect three of my females are pregnant. I am not planning on feeding the fry to my snails or my rainbow shark.

You are feeding your fish with other fish...

Evil NO! But a bit cold, yes... ;)

They have their own 1.5gal tank to live out their days in

LyndaB said:
Is that 1.5 container the one that the adult guppies are in, as well?

Yes but there is a plastic divider with holes in it and some dense breeding grass for them to hide in

A 1.5 gallon is way too small for adult guppies. They should have at least 10 gallons...... if you don't upgrade, I might reconsider my opinion as to whether or not you're evil. :cool:

LyndaB said:
A 1.5 gallon is way too small for adult guppies. They should have at least 10 gallons...... if you don't upgrade, I might reconsider my opinion as to whether or not you're evil. :cool:

+1 evillll

I try not to feed live foods to my fish as I do think it is unfair on the smaller fish which is going to be eaten.

I would never consent or help advise someone to let a guppy/platy/molly fry to any fish.

But it is nature :)

I feed mine live bloodworm's once a month as a treat I dont feel to bad that way.

Everyone is different , In that way I am a bit of a softie! I would advise you stop letting them breed and feeding them to your betta. You could raise them which is fun and then if you dont have enough room donate them your LFS :)

Make sure you have enough space to let them breed though and live happily otherwise I would just pack this whole business in! You could buy a bigger tank some can be cheap! Pop a heater in and a filter and your laughing! I use to have one in my shed ! I got too attached to them so I made sure they had everything they required and they were happy!

I dont see anything wrong with it if the biggest reason you do it is to ensure your betta is getting healthy disease free live food to suppliment its other foods.

Fishy Aston said:
At another fishes loss?

I agree with cichlid kid.
And just like previously stated, sometimes mice are bred for snakes, crickets for lizards, and so on and so forth. Lots of people breed guppies as feeder fish. Its survival of the fittest, these things happen in nature. Do you think a snake wanders over to a chipmunk and says "well I'm so hungry, but I just don't see it morally correct to eat you" lol. No they don't. Food pyramid guys it happens.

Back
Top Bottom