Am I Overstocked?? (10 Gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 10 gal. (I think it'a 10 gal. The dimensions are 10.5Lx20Wx12H (in INCHES) Any help on that??)
Anyways, 10 gal,

4 Zebra Danios
1 Dwarf gourami
1 Senegal bichir (Small, ~3 in, growing out til it can hold it's own in Cichlid tank)
1 Half Moon betta

I was thinking a small shoal of cories, or something.

Am I overstocked? if not, what reccomendations have you for more tank-mates?

i would say you are at the limit of stocking your tank, but then i tend to lie on the concervative side of stocking

well that guarami needs his space and i am suprised u havent had issues with him and the betta. butt....... if u want cories u may be ok. after u remove the birchir the bottom will be empty so 3 cories would probaably be ok. aslong as u are consistant with water changes. 50% per week atleast.

Depending on which cories you want will determine how many you can fit. The smaller the better for a 10g as they are bulky fish.

How do the betta and gourami get along together? I want to try a similar stocking list.

I had a male betta in a 20 gal alone and when I added two fire honey gouramis, the betta went nuts and tried biting through the plastic bag. I had to put him in a different tank. But from what I've read its hit or miss with gouramis and bettas since they are related.

I got 2 - 2" bichirs in March and they are both 6" in October. Depends on thier food. Mine have spurts every time I feed them meat. I'm just getting ready to upgrade thier tank. I've been getting it ready for a long time now. They will be very happy to have more space to stretch out. Wish I could put them in the 46g with the angles... but it's probably not a good idea since they didn't grow up together.

I have a betta with my 2-4"opaline and 2 dwarf gouramis with no problems in a 46g tank. The betta and opalines started out together in a 10g tank. Once the gourami's got to be 3" the whole tank got moved into the 46g (which was bought for them :) and me). It really depends on the disposition of the individual fish I suppose.
My 10g is now home to black mollys and gold swords. I like the color combo.

I have a male betta and a blue gourami who leave peacefully together in my 55 gallon tank. They never have problems, even at feeding time. However, before I tried putting them in together, I made sure that I had an extra 2 gallon tank that I could use as a home for my betta in the event that it didn't work out!

Well today I came home to the betta missing his top fin. :(. I but him in a bowl of his own, to ensure his safety. I think i'll be getting 3 cories.

Back
Top Bottom