Am I overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjh1277

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 10 gallon tank for a little while and just wondering if I'm overstocked.

Population:

8 neon tetras

2 sunrise platy

1 Dalmatian Molly

1 Cory catfish

1 male betta

Yes. even though neon tetras are small bio load contributors your other fish (with the exception of the cory who is considered a small bio load contributor for their size as well) contribute normally compared to their size (following the one inch of fish length per gallon guideline). Also with the exception of the neon tetras who many experienced keepers say need a school of at least 8 to be comfortable you don't have enough of your other fish.

Mollies are social fish. though I don't think they are considered true schoolers. the recommended number to have is at least 3. and for every one male you should have two females. I think this is a lowball ratio and you should have at least 3 females for every male (from personal experience)

corydoras are also social fish and need to be in groups of at least five of the same species.

I cannot speak to your platies as I have never had them but if memory serves me right they are very similar to mollies in need of being in a group with a certain gender ratio.

I will give props to you on keeping your betta in something more than a 5 gallon which is considered a bare minimum. but in a group setting they need at least 2-5 gallons by themselves.

i would check out the Aq Advisor website if i were you.

IMO, decide to keep either the tetras, platies, or mollies, increase your cory number to 5 or more, as GuppyGuy said, and rehome the rest to another tank. You'll really enjoy how your cories act and play when they're in a big enough school to feel comfortable. A single cory is a stressed cory.

Mollies are 20g+ imo. Especially if you plan on getting more. They can be very territorial and 10 gallons just isn't enough for them.

I had 5 peppered Cory's and a male Betta in a heavily planted 10 gallon and that's considered full by most people's standards.

Back
Top Bottom