Amano Shrimp dropping like flies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've lost 3 Amano shrimp in as many days! What's going on? Two died while in the middle of molts, one died after swimming upside down and doing loops in the water for a while. I've had them with no problems for 2 weeks at least. I've had two successful molts already.

My Ammonia and Nitrite is 0, pH is 7.3, KH 7, Nitrate is 10-20ppm. I'm using a DIY CO2 system, and flourish ferts. Its a planted tank with eco complete gravel, stays at 80*F.

I've never seen any of the fish bother the shrimp. Infact, the 2nd shrimp that died was bigger than my largest fish.

Anyone have any ideas? I only have one amano left, and I was about to order some RCS!

Thanks,
David

I lost an Amano shrimp yesterday, but my nitrates went way high for some reason so I know why. They are like canaries in a coal mine, shrimp.

I'd do a big water change; perhaps some contaminant got into the tank that affected the shrimp. They seem to be the most sensitive creatures in my tanks.

plecoperson said:
I'd do a big water change; perhaps some contaminant got into the tank that affected the shrimp. They seem to be the most sensitive creatures in my tanks.

Sorry you lost one too. I really can't figure out what's up. I haven't used anything new in the tank, my water levels are perfect. And there is plenty of algae for them to eat. (I'm having a few algae issues at the moment.) I just did a 50% PWC, so hopefully that will help.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I'd be very grateful!

CO2
What is the CO2 level of the tank (ph & KH)? Could be that the CO2 levels got overly high.
Copper
Do you have a current water quality report for your area? A lot of places have them available online these days. I would recommend checking the report to determine what the copper levels of your tap water are.
Do you dose ferts in the tank? If so, what are you using for traces and how much do you dose?
Have you checked the foods that you are feeding in this tank for copper?
While each of these individually might not be enough to cause problems, the three combined have the potential to be problematic.
Calcium
What is your GH level? Since the problems occurred shortly after a molt it could be that the Calcium levels are too low.
Iodine
Do you dose any Iodine (Iodide)? Some people have reported that they have better survival and breeding rates with their shrimp when dosing small amounts of Iodine.

Unfortunately since shrimp are so sensitive, it is often a guessing game with no answer when there are deaths. Luckily the Cherry Red Shrimp that you are considering are about the hardiest of the shrimp available, so if you can fix the problems with the Amanos you should have absolute no problems with the Cherries. It may even be that the Cherries would be fine in the same conditions just because they are so much hardier.

Water Changes in this type of situation are usually the best treatment, so that was good thinking on your part.

Thanks Purr, here is what I know so far:

CO2: pH 7.3, KH 7. That makes CO2 around 13ppm, I think. Definitely not the problem.

Copper: I'll pick up a copper test kit at the LFS in the morning.

Calcium: I don't know my GH level, I only have a KH test.

Iodine: I don't dose any, thinking about picking up a bottle of the Kent liquid iodine stuff tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom