Ammannia transition and ? plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
img_721609_0_facf5fd7237998c91fadd016399700ae.jpg

Here is the Ammannia although I am not sure which species yet. You can see the new growth on the right and the emersed on the left. Can't wait to see what it looks like once it changes over completely.

img_721609_1_c79b775004416ebd401462ab3b17e2f4.jpg
img_721609_2_55f3fec3da3148991b0d15acff9be6d7.jpg

This is the kinda unknown but it could be L. Aromatica, thank you Newfound. Is there anything I can do to help this poor plant or do I need some more of the new growth before I should mess with it? Also, any other ideas of the name of the plant if not L. Aromatica?

Your Ammania is looking good, that's exactly what to expect. Those new shoots will take off and start to root once they get a bit bigger, you can let them go, or you can break them off and re-plant them to get more stems quicker. It grows pretty quick once it gets going, should turn a nice pink for you as well. Soon you will have lots of it. Good find, it's a tough one to get a hold of and a bit tricky to keep happy. You are doind a fine job! It also dosn't ship well, I sent some out a while back and it was mush when it arrived.

Yah I figured it was tough shipper when I found it in emersed form at my LFS. Once it really takes off, I am going to set up a similar thing like purrbox is doing and grow some emersed so it ships better so others can have some. Either that or I will let it grow out the top, a few stems anyway and then have it emersed anyway. I did expect the leaves to be a lot longer but it could be because it is so new growth and hasn't taken off yet.

Here is a shot of how the Ammania can colour up, almost orange. It is under 80 wts of T-6 lighting, I figure about 5 WPG. Been in the tank for 3 weeks now, almost completed the transition from emersed to submersed. It still goes a nice pink under less light, but needs 3 + WPG to get nice colour and grow well. I'm sorry I didn't read your whole post, don't know what the other plant is, its sprouting new shoots so hopefully it will come back for you. If the new growth takes off, maybe seperate and re-plant the healthy new stuff, trash the sick part. Good luck :)

How big are the leaves and how tall are the stems in the picture? Ammannia is looking like it will be a really good plant for my needs so I need to know where toput it so I don't have to move it around after it starts to get established.

My tank is a 20 gallon high, so it's 16" to break the surface. Those plants are about 3" below the surface now, leaves are 3" long x half inch wide. They will easily break the surface from past experience, though I have never let them for long so I don't know how tall Ammania could get if left alone. You could probably get a good amount of emersed growth even in this tall tank. The leaves have grown as long as 5" on some I have grown in the past. They leaves get thin and long when grown submersed.

Well the transition is going well for some pieces and not at all with others. Should have enough to get some new stems assuming the new ones survive with the best growth. Should be a very nice plant to go with my primrose once it really gets going. It is very green but I like it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom