Ammonia detoxification and BB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I knew this at one point, but how does a product like Prime, when it detoxifies the Ammonia, effect the cycling and establishment of BB?

It only detoxifys, it doesn't remove ammonia. Only way it may become an issue is if it was way over dosed and even then I'm not sure what would happen. Once added it claims it will only work for 48 hours.

It only detoxifys, it doesn't remove ammonia. Only way it may become an issue is if it was way over dosed and even then I'm not sure what would happen. Once added it claims it will only work for 48 hours.

Ya, I understand all that, what I was wondering if the the beneficial bacteria production is slowed down by neutralizing thing ammonia

Sorry, it really doesn't do anything like that. Here is some info.

[FONT=&quot]http://aquariumscience.org/index.php/5-5-3-2-prime-and-safe/ [/FONT]

This good information, thank you.

I setup a 5 gallon about 9 days ago, coming back to the hobby after a 3 almost 4 year break. I’m cycling it, Fish in, with a small Beta, and I feel like the cycling is taking longer than it should. After 9 days I’m still at 0% nitrite, and 0% nitrate. I’ve done 2 water changes to keep the ammonia below 2ppm.

Fish has been doing great, but I was starting to wonder if Prime was actually slowing down the cycling process. I’ve also been using StressZyme+ but I really don’t know what I think about that “bacteria in a bottle” product.

So I just did a water change last night, dosing 0.5ml Prime, and 2.5ml StressZyme.

I’m just going to let it sit for the next 72 hours, but keep an eye on the fish.

I’m just eager to get the bacteria established because I’m planning on cascading my media to get my larger tanks going.

I have 2 filters in the 5g so when the bacteria is established, I can remove one, and add it to the filter in my 10g (hospital/QT tank), then when that 10g filter is caked, use it to seed my 75g

I’m setting these tanks up this weekend, but I’d like to get some fish in them in the next 2-3 weeks.

I might just go get some fish-fodder to get them going.

My very first tank was a disaster. I setup a 10g and the put like 12 fish in it the same day.

I had a heater, a filter, some conditioner, I thought I was good.

Then when ALL of them died within 3 days, THEN I started to learn.

So now, I’m trying to cycle a tank, the right way.

Back
Top Bottom