Ammonia higher after adding TetraSafeStart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday i spent the whole day noticing my fish not eating and looking stressed so I went to the forums and after a long night of research and help from many people, They told me that my 20 gallon fish tank was not cycled completely yet after almost 5 weeks and it was slightly overstocked so the bacteria wasn't keeping up with the ammonia levels being produced. Some people recommended Tetra SafeStart so i decided to go first thing in the morning and get some.

When i woke up i noticed 2 cory cats and 1 glofish tetra died overnight. :( (these are the first to die since starting) So i removed them and went to the store and got the safe start. I did a 50% water change and added the Safestart. It's been three hours now and my fish still look stressed and now my ammonia is even higher now (4.0). I have been told that the safestart would throw off my tests but I'm worried that that ammonia level is still too high. What should i do? My fish still have not eaten since yesterday and still look stressed at the top of the tank. I have the lights off and air pump going. Tank Details below if it helps.

Tank Size - 20 gallon hexagon
Fish in tank - now have 7 glofish tetras and 3 albino cory cats after the three died
Temp - 78 degress
PH-7.4-7.8
AMMONIA-4.0 ppm
NITRITE- 0 ppm
NITRATE- 20-40 ppm

As I mentioned in the other thread; you need to get that ammonia down with water changes. Look at the link I posted in your other thread for more details but the summary is water change until the water is safe for fish.

I’ve read that some bacterial supplements come with some kind of stabilized ammonia supplement ( apparently bound in some way to protect the fish until the bacteria consume it) but I don’t know if tetra safe start is one of them. I didn’t think it was. Regardless the behavior of the fish and deaths are telling you loud and clear your water is not safe.

Water change until it is using prime to bind up ammonia and nitrites in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom