Ammonia in established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have ammonia in my tank. It reads at 0.25. I do weekly water changes and regularly gravel vac. My tank is around 90 or so litres. With two fish.
My nitrate reads at 10, nitrite 0, PH 7.6, and ammonia like I said 0.25. I did my weekly water change today added stress coat to water, gravel vac and gave the decorations a quick scrub. Fish look healthy one is missing a couples of scales which I have treated.
What could be causing the ammonia? There is no uneaten food no rotten plants and nothing has died. Any help would be great. I will do another water change in the next couple of days. I usually use spring water with stress coat when I noticed the ammonia. I test with the API liquid test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know that tank is too small for two. But saving for a bigger one at the moment as the bills just keep coming in.

Have you checked your source/tap water for ammonia?
At 0.25 ppm I would not worry about it too much. A mature filter should be able to handle that. I used to have 1.0 ppm ammonia in my tap water. So, while doing water changes I was actually adding ammonia to the tank. However, the bioload was low and the filters were able to process it. Only when I did larger water changes (50-75%) is when I would detect a trace of ammonia and nitrite the next day. Otherwise, things stayed at 0/0/20 for the most part.

Thank you for replying. No I haven't checked tap water will do.

What kind of fish? This makes a significant difference in what tank is "too small" for 2 fish. What kind of filter are you running?

I'd comment on ammonia but it's been well covered already.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom