Anchor worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikekeato

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought plants from a new shop local to myself...I now have anchor worm in my aquarium ?.....any advice on how to get rid of these?....... I really don't want to clean out and start again.....

Doing a quick search on the web brought me to a site called fishdeals.com which had this information listed for treatment

Anchor Worms Treatments Potassium permanganate dip at 100mg/2.5 gallons of water, or Salt dip Formalin dip at 2 to 4 ml Formalin/2.5 gallons of water for 30 minutes, the fish may lose equilibrium and must immediately be transferred to clean, fresh waterModern antiparasitics (such as Disco-worm, Fluke tabs, and Clout) may help Salt in the aquarium at 1 to 2 tablespoons may help prevent secondary infections*

The best treatment is to remove them by hand and quarantine the tank. You may have to do the following a few times. Tweezers work well for removing the anchor worms, try to grip them as close to the wound as possible. Periodically dunk the fish into the bucket of water to let him get a few breaths before continuing. After removing as many as you can see, use stress coat.

Also it seems the most recommended treatments I seen while briefly browsing were
Potassium Permanganate or Dimilin.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thnx samram...I found a product called tetra parasite guard available from u.s.a....has anybody here ever tried it? I'm keen to know if it works.....it claims to rid anchor worm as well as many other parasitic organisms

Used something called microbe-lift anchor worm and lice treatment about 6 years ago. Treated whole pond with it. Had no casualties from the treatment. Only the initial 7 fish I lost before I started treatment. I had only fish though, reading the bottle(still have lol) says not to use with crustaceans.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are pond treatments OK for a much smaller aquariums tho...I read that the strength would be much to much for a 125 Ltr tank

Are pond treatments OK for a much smaller aquariums tho...I read that the strength would be much to much for a 125 Ltr tank

Would last forever lol. 30 ml treats 1150 litres. So to treat your tank would only need 1ml.
This and aquarium salt are the only treatments I have used for anchor worm I have never used the other products listed to say effectiveness.

Aquarium salt dips work with anchor worm because the worms are actually freshwater crustaceans and are more sensitive to salt than the fish. The problem with this treatment is anchor worm reproduces in the water column so would still be present in the water. I would not advise keeping the freshwater fish in water of salt concentrations high enough to kill the parasite longer than 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thnx samram...I found a product called tetra parasite guard available from u.s.a....has anybody here ever tried it? I'm keen to know if it works.....it claims to rid anchor worm as well as many other parasitic organisms

I've haven't had to deal with anchor worms as I'm still pretty new to the hobby. The info I posted was gathered from a few sites including this one when I did a brief google search about treating anchor worms. If the tetra parasite guard is what you have available right now I would say go ahead and try it especially considering it says it treats anchor worms I can't really say whether it will be effective for sure but maybe you can google some info about the product and you might come across some posts from people who've successfully treated with it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I tried tetra parasite guard... It works a treat...no messing just need to remove carbon filter while treating...easy to use drop in tablets....sorted

Back
Top Bottom