And elfin hand rainbow cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sebastian2345

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a 37 gallon tank and was planning in getting an angelfish based on the height of the tank, and is wondering if a rainbow cichlid and maybe a school of tetras would live well with an angelfish in this tank.

I recently got a 37 gallon tank and was planning in getting an angelfish based on the height of the tank, and is wondering if a rainbow cichlid and maybe a school of tetras would live well with an angelfish in this tank.

There shouldn't be any territorial issues between the two cichlids so there wouldn't a problem in my opinion. The only issue may come during feeding time as the Herotilapia multispinosa will be more aggressive.

on a different forum people were saying that a 37 g is not enough for an angel do you think they are wrong?

on a different forum people were saying that a 37 g is not enough for an angel do you think they are wrong?

My apologies I missed the 37g part, no I wouldn't keep an angelfish together in that set up. I would do a pair of multispinosa's and skip the angel entirely.

No, two pairs of cichlids is a recipe for disaster. I would do one pair with a small school of cherry barbs would be a nice contrast to the yellow in the multispinosa's.

Also would it be ok to get two of the same gender rainbow cichlid because I don't have any space for fry.

So if the rainbows weren't a breeding pair could i get two rainbows and two rams

And how do you tell the difference between a male and female rainbow cichlid?

It is hard to differentiate between males and females when small but after they're larger you'll see differences in size and color. The females are smaller, duller, and have different fin shape.

img_3240553_0_bb7dea0713fe906ed487d57a23dd51aa.jpg

The male is on the right and you clearly see the color difference

And if you can't tell the sex young would it be better to just get one and something else instead of the second one

There shouldn't be any territorial issues between the two cichlids so there wouldn't a problem in my opinion. The only issue may come during feeding time as the Herotilapia multispinosa will be more aggressive.

Just wanted to point out that it's no longer Herotilapia multispinosa it's now Archocentrus multispinosus.

Back
Top Bottom