anemone in power head.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motorzrcook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got a couple new fish and i got a anemone. he got sucked into my power head and i pulled him out quickly, his tentacles look a little chewed up, but he seems to be coming back slowly. its weird though he has taken up a spot at the top of my tank, its not losing color yet, any suggestions or ideas? what do people put on there power heads to avoid these mishaps? thanks for your time reading this.

It should not move around if it finds an ideal place in the tank. I don't have anything over my power heads.
As long as your parameters and lighting are sufficient, it should settle somewhere.
Do you have ample lighting for an anemone? What type of anemone is this?

I just took my powerheads out of the tank yesterday to clean them and apparently I didn't put them back exactly where they were because mine moved last night to a new spot. So flow makes a difference.

I never used to put anything only powerheads until I had a LARGE bubble tip anemone get sucked through one and blown into a million pieces. Luckily I caught it just after the disaster and had saltwater readily available and had to do a very large water change. Not much fun!

Any update on how your nem is doing?? I had a mishap a few nights ago where mine was moving around because I messed with the flow of the tank. Well he ended up in the PH the next morning and got sliced and diced pretty good. It took me a few minutes to wrestle him off of it but I put him back in his original spot and he seems to be back to normal. Some times I wonder if I should get some smaller power heads.

It's not that the power heads are too large, it's that the anemone isn't happy where it is for one reason or another. In your case it was the change of flow. The trouble is, they don't have a very good way of relocating....it's kind of like going up in a hot air balloon to find a better neighborhood.....wherever it lands is the place you are going to call home, unless of course you land in a crap neighborhood.....or maybe an alligator farm (a power head) :eek:

nem health

my nem has made a remarkable recovery. now he likes to anchor to the top rocks.

Back
Top Bottom