Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone identify this? It's about half the diameter of a dime.

Attachments

• mystery-sm.jpg
    mystery-sm.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 192
It is an anemone and likely a pesky one. I'm gonna say it looks like a young majano anemone. Here is a pic of one that is about the size of a half dollar. It's very simular to aptasia and not desirable. I'd keep any eye on it or get rid of it now before it spreads. HTH

Do these have natural predators? I know Aiptasia do but I have not found much about Majano. None of my crabs or worms have touched it. Should I bother or just go for a chemical method (kalkwasser)?

The problem with introducing something to eat them is that once the animal eats them all, it will starve. I would get rid of them by chemical means. Kalkwasser works and I've heard many reports, all with great results, from people using Joe's Juice.

http://joesjuice.com/

JeridJohnson said:
Excuse my ignorance... what makes it undesirable?

These particular anemones, much like the aptasia, reproduce rapidly and sting anything in their path.

could it possibly be a curly Q. they do look similar to a youngmajano, but the curly Q's stay looking like that and dont reproduce out of control. i have one that got pretty big. kind of neat but it was stinging my zoos and would not relocate.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom