Anemone's (how many?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all it's me again....the NEWB!! :)

How do I know what aneomone's can live together, and how many I can add?

Is there a rule of thumb on this??

I want to get a variety of anemone's but dont know if there ok for each other. (carpet, rose bulb, purple tip, bubble)

Thanks.

I would not recommend an Anemone at this point in time.. Your tank needs to be setup for a very long time so that your tank is ready for them... Putting them in rather soon is only going to cost you alot of money as well as deprive the Ocean of 1 less creature...

Most say that multiple species of anemones can be in the tank together however if you were going to put them in your 75g I would say no more than 1 Species..

Coral Life Lighting (2 55w compact florescent white)
(2 55w compact florescent blue)
This is no where near enough light for an Anemone as well... I would recommend at least dual 175w MH lights if not dual 250w MH lights to keep any anemone in your 75g..

HTH<
James

Too late I have 2 already. 2 different species. 8O

One was attached to the LR when I got it. It has graown about 2 inches since I got it. It eats well and is growing good.

Purple tip doing great also. It is always opened up, with fish swimming in it all the time. Beautiful anemone.

Well what do I do???

And again, how many can I get?

Reverend, Check out www.wetwebmedia.com look under: marine aquarium > Non-Vertebrate Life 2 > FAQ :Anemone Lighting.
With PC lighting try and keep your anenomes in the upper reaches of your tank. PC lighting isn't capable of penetrating deep into the water collum.

and Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the help all, and I will be able to sustain my anemone's. :wink:

I understand your concern, but your concern does'nt mean that I will fail. Thanks for your concern thought, I appreciate it. :D

Some of the best aquarists can not even keep anemones alive for more than 3-5 years. Thats if there lucky, some anemones such as the bubble tip seem to be doing quite well in captivity. This is of course assuming you have ample amounts of metal halide lighting. Im assuming your small 1" anemone is a rock anemone or something that thrives under any condition (A seemingly worthless anemone) However your so called purple tip could be a number of things, my guess is its a bleched seabae. Either way it dosen't sound good to be keeping one with such little knowledge and inadequate lighting. Do yourself a favor and return it before it dies. Anemones may also look great, then literally die overnight. Don't make the mistake.... Try to be more responsible in your purchases, your tank is way to young.

However your so called purple tip could be a number of things, my guess is its a bleched seabae
I would Guess Condy.. They can survive in just about anything short term and are essentually throw away anemones.. My local Petco Sells Condys LOL I had a few when I first started cause I thought they were cheap.. No acclimation just threw them in and they lived thru the night until I decided that I was not going to keep them and pulled them out and took them back...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=619

They are 4.99 online and I believe they are about the same at my local Petco

HTH<
James

They can survive in just about anything short term and are essentually throw away anemones

I don't believe any creature is a throw away. I think that even the Condy is beautiful and should be respected as God's creature.

I would Guess Condy

Sorry to bust your bubble James, but that's not mine....... :wink:

This site is great and it would helpful if people would be more helpful, instead of critical. Most are on this site are helpful though. I hate to be new and stir up anger, but being more helpful about someones situation, would be better than critical. I have already got the anemone, so can you help me with that? Not tell me to take it back. I may be new, but I am not stupid. :)

Thanks.

IMO the info you are getting is helpful. First off, and not trying to sound critical, you don't even know what kind of anemones you have. Condylactis and some other rock anemones will do okay under moderate even low light. Most reef anemones and bubble tips and carpet anemones need very strong lighting to survive and thrive. The truth is that your lighting is not considered to be very strong. Compact fluorescents are bright but do not provide much PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) in deeper tanks. Your anemones may do okay for a time, over time they could lose their colors or more likely become a dull brown color.
Be cautious of any filter intakes or powerhead intakes and cover them...anemones move and often a powerhead intake is all it takes to kill one.
If you are truly interested in keeping mainly anemones, I would search around for some books that deal mainly with their husbandry. I don't keep any anemones and I'm not familiar with any books off the top of my head.
In the mean time, try to keep the water quality pristine, anemones do not tolerate high levels of nitrate. Try feeding the anemones with pieces of krill or silversides..have they been eating since you've had them. Look through some online retail sites or post a pic if possible to get a better ID and some more specific advice.

Quote:

They can survive in just about anything short term and are essentually throw away anemones

I don't believe any creature is a throw away. I think that even the Condy is beautiful and should be respected as God's creature
IMO they are not throw away creatures either... But in the industry they are treated that way...

Sorry to bust your bubble James, but that's not mine.......
Dont mean to be rude but what is it then...

This site is great and it would helpful if people would be more helpful, instead of critical. Most are on this site are helpful though. I hate to be new and stir up anger, but being more helpful about someones situation, would be better than critical
We are just here trying to help.. All the information we are giving you is very well researched.. Anemones need extremely intense lighting as well as a very mature tank 1+yrs old...
I have already got the anemone, so can you help me with that?
Well for starters you are going to need to provide alot better lighting for it... I would suggest atleast 2x175w MH lights if not 2x250w Mh lights..
Not tell me to take it back. I may be new, but I am not stupid
WE are just trying to state the cold hard proven facts... Most anemones cannot be kept long term by most of the So called Experts out there... WE are not trying to say that you are stupid.. We are trying to help... IMO there should be no more anemones in your tank...

IMO you should probably get rid of your Horseshoe crab as well as it will eventually eat all the food in your sand and will starve. They grow up to 2' and are not intended for captive systems. All your benificial creatures in the sand are being eaten..

Also your flame scallops are not intended for captive systems as well. They are extremely hard to keep and do not last long term..

Again I am just trying to provide you with honest information... Why lie and tell you everything is going to be ok when there is a 98% chance that it will not be...

Here is a good article on keeping anemones

James

Thanks for your opinion. But can I remind you of my original post?
How do I know what aneomone's can live together, and how many I can add?

Is there a rule of thumb on this??

I want to get a variety of anemone's but dont know if there ok for each other. (carpet, rose bulb, purple tip, bubble)

I did'nt ask: Am I ready for one?
I noew understand that some of you think I'm not. I can even understand why. But the point is that I already have 2. So help me on that.

Don't want to sound like a butt. I really apreciate all your help, but could I get some more direct answers to my questions? Thanks.

Thanks. :wink:

You want a quick and Easy answer? Most anemones in a closed system will fight chemically and all will eventually die.. It is not suggested that you keep more than one Species in the same tank.. Everyone has different experiences but I would chose the One anemone you really like and hope and Pray that it lives as more often than not they die rather quickly.. Some within a few weeks some within a few months.. If It were me I would just go for a Captive Raised BTA.. But you are still going to need atleast MH lighting to keep it..

James

Okay, I think I can aswer your question.

Question: How many anemone's can I have and which kinds go well together?

Answer: NONE. Your tank is too new to have the ones you have. You will soon figure that out when you kill "Gods creatures".

So, that is your answer... Exactly what you asked for.

HOWEVER:

I don't want to start a flame war, but its lots of peoples opinion that anemones shouldn't be put in ANY tank less than 1yr old. Though most people settle at 6mo.

IF you had a 6mo-12mo old tank, you could keep as many as you could keep separated... and ones that will not fight. Lots of anemones will not do well when placed near each other. So, heed that in mind a year from now.

Advice (not critisism):
Read, read and read some more. Do a search for stuff before you ask the questions because there's a good chance somebody has asked it before.

--Micah

OK folks, let's keep this friendly and simply answer the questions. Keep it on topic and no attacks.

FWIW, I agree with James statement above, 1 species per tank, they will sense each other as soon as they hit the water and chemical warfare will begin. Anemones, also, are not sessile inverts, they are mobile inverts and can easily go after one another taking out anything inbetween, lot's of collateral damage. Now, everyones experience, will vary, but you should know that anemones are virtually immortal in the wild, yet fare very poorly in the aquarium. This is why people get so worked up about it. Think about it, what is important to you that is immortal? Suppose they took that away from you after only 3-4 years, or in most cases less than a month?

I'm tagging along on this one, and if there is another post that I consider to be antagonistic or off topic, this topic will be locked. It is unfortunate that we pride ourselves in being one of the friendliest sites on the net, yet I have had to threaten to lock a couple of topics within a week. Please keep your emotions out of your posts, if you can't...don't post! Informational, non-emotional posts are what is needed in this type of situation ;)

Hey all my apologies..... :oops:

Very, Very sorry. I have been trying to read, read, read. There is so much to learn. There are so much info that is looked at differently by different folks. I guess there is nothing that all can agree on. But I will agree that the info I am recieving is good. Even though I don't want to hear it! :D JK!

The small anemone that I have does seem to be some kind of rock anemone. I did'nt buy it, it was attached to the LR. So I figured I would try to kepp it. It is growing good though.

As far as the purple tip, I asked the lfs, and they said it was ok. That ismy reasoning for buying that. I will hold out on buying anymore anemone's.

When do all you think that I will be ready for a BTA? They sure are beautiful.
Is there a poll anywhere on this forum about who all owns and anemone? If there is not it would be great to see. Anyway thanks all. I realize you are are trying to help.

Thanks. :)

As far as the purple tip, I asked the lfs, and they said it was ok
Most LFS are only out there for the money.. If they said no It wont fair well in most tanks they wont make very much money... There are a few good ones out there that will refuse to sell you stuff that isnt compatible with your tank or each other but those a very rare and when/if you find one Never leave ;)

When do all you think that I will be ready for a BTA? They sure are beautiful
I would say get atleast 2x175w MH lights and research as much as you can.. When your tank is atleast 6m old then start looking for a healthy specimen.. Remember The best things come to those who wait...

I am not aware of any polls.. It would be nice to see one as well. Start one with the options of

1) Own Anemone Still Alive
2) Owned anemone Died
3) tank not ready
4) dont plan on getting one

LOL

HTH,
James

Your all right. I need to SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWW down. I my tank to be beauitful to quick. Besides that I going broke. This is way worse than being addicted to gambling. I would probably fair better going against the House. :D

Back
Top Bottom