Anenome Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
like everything in this hobby I am fully aware and am willing to be patient, however, I want to do this right. My lfs had a rose BTA for $60! And seeing as anemones are the reason I got into his hobby I got it. My tank has been up for a year and a half and all parameters are solid and have been for some time. I floated the bag for 20 minutes then slowly acclimated it for about an hour and a half. Set my AI LEDs to "corral acclimation" of 40% reduction. Placed it (one of my clowns took to it right away), now today is the end of day two and it has moved itself under a rock that I don't see how it will be getting light. Now from my tanks side pain I can sort of see it if I use a flashlight and it doesn't look stressed. Mouth is shut and the tentacles look to be at mid extension.
My question: How long do I let it be under that rock cropping without light? I want to avoid forcing it to move but I also don't want it to be "starving" either.

All thoughts are welcome

It could be like that for awhile. Once it gets adjusted to your tank it'll start to come out. My friends rtba hid in his rocks for 2 months before it came out.

This is the same case I am having. My BTA has squeezed itself underneath the rocks for about a week now. I guess we just have to wait and see when will they start moving out to a favorable spot. Good luck to both of us.

Absolutely! And thanks. I figured as much. Patience always seems to work in this hobby. Now, the nem did move closer to the light which is great. Possible issue though. I do have a tube anemone and the RBTA is getting pretty close. I assume they will work it out? Or should I diffuse any potential situation before it happens?

I went to my lfs and they told me to move the tube anemone but thought they could live in the tank together but to just pay close attention (I do have carbon in my sump). Here's a pick of it looking pretty happy today

Attachments

• image-987618030.jpg
    image-987618030.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 94
Just seeing if anyone else had seen this: My female clownfish started hosting my anemone almost instantly when I first put it in. Then it moved (as it acclimated) and the clownfish seemed to forget about it. When the anemone went back after it felt comfortable my clownfish took to it again (after I did hold up videos of clownfish and anemones for about 30 minutes, coincidence I don't know), but it was as my white lights were going down so the anemone had already begun to close. Within five minutes the anemone closed itself up completely (seemingly due to the clown fish's presence) so that the clownfish couldn't fit anymore.

I understand the reality of this relationship requires the anemone to accept the clownfish. Has anyone actually seen an anemone not accept a clown? This is the first time I've seen this so I'm not worried. I'm more or less just curious

It took my True Percula clown about a month before he started to host my anemone.
I had a PBT that got ich and because I wanted to treat him I took the anemone out and gave him to a friend. In about a day the clown was dead. Is this because of stress from not having an anemone? Or do you think my 17" Eel decided to eat him because he had no protection?

I have no idea. I'd think eel. But I'm really asking if anyone knows if it's possible for an anemone to deny a clown to host. At this point I'm just saying in general. I'm sure mine will work it out. Or they won't. And that's ok too I guess.

Back
Top Bottom