Angel cant close his mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I think I have a problem with one of my angels He doesn't seem to be able to close his mouth and since this has been happening he hasn't been his normal self, he just stays in one corner of the tank, my other angel is fine and is taking a protective role over the angel with the problem, any ideas on what the problem could be?? All parameters are fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Not too sure but.. give everyone some more info.

Tank size?

Tank mates?

Can you get a picture of it?

What exactly are the water parameters?

steez said:
Not too sure but.. give everyone some more info.

Tank size?

Tank mates?

Can you get a picture of it?

What exactly are the water parameters?

Tank size is 40gal long, tank mates are another angel, 5 harlequin rasboras, 6 black phantom tetras, 7 cardinals 6 sterbai corys and about 10 rcs. I tried all day yesterday to get a pic of him but it's like he's embarrassed of his mouth problem and keeps swimming away lol. Ammo 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate is 10-20ppm that's usually lower but Its due the water change today.

Could he have tried to eat an RCS and have something stuck in his mouth? Maybe a juvenile?

skiweeangel said:
Could he have tried to eat an RCS and have something stuck in his mouth? Maybe a juvenile?

From what I can see there isn't anything stuck in his mouth I thought he might of tried to swallow a pellet that I feed my corys but i can't see nothing in there. And yeah the angel is still a baby. I just got home from work and it's poo is kinda White and stringy don't know whether that's related to the problem?

This is the best I could do.

Attachments

• image-395664219.jpg
    image-395664219.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3617147779.jpg
    image-3617147779.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 114
I would try the peas. I ran into a similar problem when I over fed blood worms and some of my fish became constipated.

skiweeangel said:
I would try the peas. I ran into a similar problem when I over fed blood worms and some of my fish became constipated.

This could be the problem since I've only just started feeding them bloodworms as a treat. How do I feed them peas? Do I just pop one in the tank straight out of the freezer?? Or do I boil it to soften the pea first? Thank you for your help (y)

In all honesty I have done both, but boiling them helps soften them. Whatever you do just make sure to take off the hard outer shell first. good luck. I feed bloodworms about once a week now and it seems to work well. I was feeding them too often, that was my problem.

skiweeangel said:
In all honesty I have done both, but boiling them helps soften them. Whatever you do just make sure to take off the hard outer shell first. good luck. I feed bloodworms about once a week now and it seems to work well. I was feeding them too often, that was my problem.

Brilliant, I'm gonna give it a try and hope it works after my weekly pwc, which is today :) yeah think I'm gonna go for the weekly feed of bloodworms, i was giving them bloodworms every other day.
thanks for your help I appreciate it :)

Sadly my angel died today? My gf just text me to tell me as I'm at work :( gutted ain't the word! Tried to feed him peas but he wasn't interested. :(

librarygirl said:
Aw, I'm sorry about your fish. :(

Thanks, I kinda expected it as I had no other ideas as what to do or what was wrong with him. I haven't had much luck with my centre piece fish, tbh I feel like ripping the tank apart and buying a new bigger one for a Malawi tank.lol

Oh if its a baby then probably not.
Angels can be aggressive to each other tho. My angel got its fins nipped off when i first introduced them into the tank.

tarpon said:
Angels can be aggressive to each other tho. My angel got its fins nipped off when i first introduced them into the tank.

Yeah Maybe that is what happened but I never once seen the other angel attack him, the angel that I have left even took it upon himself to look after the other one when he weren't well, the angel that died was just sitting in one of the corners and the other one would stay close by, kinda like he was protecting him. I did originally think that it might have something stuck in it's mouth but I just had a look at the dead angel and couldn't see anything wrong with it wat so ever. Confusing.

tarpon said:

Gonna keep a close eye on the tank now tho just in case I did miss some bullying that's going on. thanks

Back
Top Bottom