Angel fish breeding issues w 0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mindy2400

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mated pair of angel fish, that has spawned multiple times. They live in a community 65 gallon tank, With some catfish, tetras, guppies, and Molly's. Take is fairly heavily planted. Nitrates read about 20, nitrites are at 0 ammonia is at 0 and the ph is around 6, 6.5. They have been spawning every 2 weeks, and the last time they spawned was a week ago. They are spawning again now. My problem though, is that my mail does not seen to be fertilizing the eggs. I have noticed that his pop'la is visible this time, as it has never been visible before. I am not sure of his age, but I have had him for 6 months. The female, I believe, o m ly recently reached sexual maturity. It seems every time they spawn, the female learns a little bit more. I have recently caught her fanning the eggs, obviously trying to protect them as well. The mail seems to only see them as a buffet. Fyi... 2 angel fish, 2 mollies, plus 1 balloon belly molly, 3 green cory cats, 1 peppered cory cat, 1 rosy white finned tetra, 3 long finned red mimor tetras, and 1snow white moscow guppie. Does anyone know anything I can do to help him with fertilizing the eggs?

The only thing you can do is wait and hopefully the male starts fertilizing the eggs.

I have a mated pair of angel fish, that has spawned multiple times. They live in a community 65 gallon tank, With some catfish, tetras, guppies, and Molly's. Take is fairly heavily planted. Nitrates read about 20, nitrites are at 0 ammonia is at 0 and the ph is around 6, 6.5. They have been spawning every 2 weeks, and the last time they spawned was a week ago. They are spawning again now. My problem though, is that my mail does not seen to be fertilizing the eggs. I have noticed that his pop'la is visible this time, as it has never been visible before. I am not sure of his age, but I have had him for 6 months. The female, I believe, o m ly recently reached sexual maturity. It seems every time they spawn, the female learns a little bit more. I have recently caught her fanning the eggs, obviously trying to protect them as well. The mail seems to only see them as a buffet. Fyi... 2 angel fish, 2 mollies, plus 1 balloon belly molly, 3 green cory cats, 1 peppered cory cat, 1 rosy white finned tetra, 3 long finned red mimor tetras, and 1snow white moscow guppie. Does anyone know anything I can do to help him with fertilizing the eggs?
Younger and first time breeding fish do not always have successful spawns. With Angels, the old story is that they need a few tries to "get it right." I call it a story because I have had first time spawners have very successful spawns but the situations need to be correct for that to happen. There is nothing YOU can do to speed up his performance other than show him a pair of fish spawning for him ( and her) to see what it is all about. That's the good news. ;) Now, the bad news.....
Angelfish are not really Angelic and mated pairs of Angels can do some real damage in a community tank. The other fish will be trying to eat the spawn, eggs or wigglers, so the parents will be on their guard all the time which can make them even more cranky than they already are. If they are not good at protecting their spawns, they can turn on each other " blaming" each other for the loss of the spawn. Angels ( and most spawning cichlids) do better when by themselves in a dedicated spawning tank. This blaming can lead to the pair fighting with each other. Another issue with fertility can come with the use of overflow filters. Too much water movement can actually wash away the milt before the eggs are fertilized so a better filter for spawning fish is a sponge filter.
There is a lot of information in an old thread here titled " Wigglers at last!!!!!" You might want to search it and read through it. It contains info from both commercial and hobbyist Angelfish breeders and contains just about every piece of info about breeding Angelfish you might need. (y) Good luck.

I have another question.... it seems as though they will not be successful breeding. That being said, my female is laying eggs just about every week. So, every week, she torments the entire tank, except the male angel.... it is getting to the point that I can't enjoy it... she does her sideways death dart all the time. Is there anything I can do to deter her from trying to spawn, aside from separating them?

Back
Top Bottom