Angel fish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datkidkevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got an angel in a ten gallon tank with 4 serpae tetras 10 neons 1 betta and a pleco i want to know how fast will he out grow my tank

it will take several months for it to physically outgrow the tank, but as far as swimming room and territory, it doesnt have enough room no matter how big it is right now

Kevin-

You seem to be very overstocked in that tank to me. If you are not yet having issues with ammonia, I fear that you soon will. Angels will need at least a 29 longterm. The Neons will eventually be angel snacks as well. The betta and angel will almost certainly demonstrate aggression towards one another eventually. The pleco (unless a "dwarf").... well, those get HUGE and are extremely messy. Better to re-evaluate the stocking before issues emerge. IMHO.

Not to worry... when the Angel gets big enough... he'll adjust the stocking levels himself by "removing" the Neons one by one. :)

But yeah... the Angel will quickly (less than a year) outgrow a 10 gallon tank just by sheer size (total stocking issues aside.)

Not to worry... when the Angel gets big enough... he'll adjust the stocking levels himself by "removing" the Neons one by one. :)

But yeah... the Angel will quickly (less than a year) outgrow a 10 gallon tank just by sheer size (total stocking issues aside.)
It will probably be dead before getting large enough to pick off the neons one by one given the current stocking situation.

Kevin-

You seem to be very overstocked in that tank to me. If you are not yet having issues with ammonia, I fear that you soon will. Angels will need at least a 29 longterm. The Neons will eventually be angel snacks as well. The betta and angel will almost certainly demonstrate aggression towards one another eventually. The pleco (unless a "dwarf").... well, those get HUGE and are extremely messy. Better to re-evaluate the stocking before issues emerge. IMHO.

I would of thought even a smaller variety of pleco would be too big for a 10gallon as they poo alot. poo's make ammonia in the same way points make prizes! :)

How big is the angel now? I know it is sometimes hard to wrap our minds around the idea that with all that water there is not enough room for the fish in there. The biggest problem you will have with the angel in a 10 gallon is aggression and the smaller the tank the worse it will get. A 90 gallon was eventually pushing it for the 6 angelfish that I had simply because they were bullies.
Pick whether you are in love with the Angel or the Betta one will have to go as they are both fairly aggressive. If the angel is quarter sized or smaller right now you will be ok for another couple of months but the aggressive nature will grow as the fish does. In my experience a ten gallon is good for a few neons or one betta and that is about it...you could get a dwarf frog with a school of some small type fish like neons or rasboras and it would be lovely. I would recommend a 29 gallon if you are in love with angelfish though.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom