Angel still isn't eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already and I skipped over it- but have you tested your tap water for nitrates?
Also, if you ever overfeed, or the fish don't eat the food you drop in, try to siphon it out.
Your tank looks great from the pic I saw, but it didn't show the whole tank. Do you have lots of places for the angel to feel hidden? They really enjoy tall narrow plants that go all the way from the substrate to the surface that they can squeeze between and feel hidden. In my experience, Angels can be skittish and spook easily without this comfort.
I wouldn't worry too much about the nitrates, yes lower is better, but I've seen angels scarf down food in much higher nitrates than that.
Try not to have your hands in the tank or change too many things, as this will contribute to the Angel's stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes I've tested my tap is <2 ppm, I did just clean my filter it wasn't bad the angel surfaced thinking it was food time but yes the angel hides between my driftwood and swords one side is planted with driftwood the other side is a fake tree nothing on that size plant wise

Side* not Size couldn't edit lol
Not a very good pic forgot to put my camera on pro mode

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1475539631829.jpg
    1475539631829.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 23
That Texas holey rock is probably driving your pH up. Not that the pH is a huge concern, but just an observation.
Beautiful tank though! Hopefully those swords will keep on growing even taller- do you have root tabs under them?

Another thought; have you ever noticed those tetras or rainbows nipping at the angel's fins?

No root tabs but will have to as they are starting to look puny, no the angel is the boss of the tank even the clown loaches leave him alone, yes I know I'll have to either get a way bigger tank or take them back to my fish store as my tank isn't big enough, I got them cause I have a snail infestation, ph is actually lower than I thought it's 7.5-7.6

If you get rid of the clown loaches, assassin snails may be a good alternative:)

Oh and you can make your own root tabs for super cheap! Just get some 00 pill capsules at a vitamin or health food store (found mine at Whole Foods) and make a 50/50 mixture of miracle grow fruit & veggie and osmocote plus. Your swords will explode with growth.

The snails in my tank are to big for the assassin snails to ambush they are ramshorn not your typical pest snail and they eat the heck out of my plants, as far as making root tabs I have a very bad anxiety disorder so I would mess it up lol, but my lfs is amazing and giving me some at their cost, they aren't out to rip anyone off and I honestly can't afford a 150+ gallon tank to keep the clowns unless I hit the lotto or something cause I would also have to reinforce my floors, this house is 96 years old so I'm leery about weight, don't want the tank to go through to the basement lol

Oh that's not hard I just watched like 5 videos of the top scapers just use osmocote for low tech

Oh assasins will eat the ramshorns no problemo ;) ramshorns are the reason I got my assasins. The giant ones I just plucked out by hand and threw them outside.
I completely understand about the clown loaches. They're just one of those fish that are sold way too often without educating people on their full size. Sounds like re-homing them is the best option.

Yeah my lfs said once the snails are dwindled down to bring them back in they will give me in store credit for what they sell them for at the size I bring them in at, they are about 2 1/2" and fat lol so probably 20.00 each, they are 12.00 as juveniles, and at that time I should be okay with the assassin's, I absolutely love the loaches though even though they scare me when they play dead lol they just have an awesome personality, they eat right out of my hand.

Side* not Size couldn't edit lol
Not a very good pic forgot to put my camera on pro mode

That Texas holey rock is probably driving your pH up. Not that the pH is a huge concern, but just an observation.
Beautiful tank though! Hopefully those swords will keep on growing even taller- do you have root tabs under them?

Another thought; have you ever noticed those tetras or rainbows nipping at the angel's fins?

What I see in the pic is that there is not a lot of tall hiding areas and that may be some of the issue concerning fright. You might want to address that. ;)

I'd also like to amend Khuligirl's statement about the rock "Driving your PH up." While calcium based decor does cause PH to rise, high nitrates cause PH to fall so in your case, the rock is actually helping the PH not to crash. That said, the rock is porous and a good place for food to gather and decay. Another possible site for exploration.

Lastly, as a "checks and balances", I'd take a sample of water to your LFS along with your test kit and do a side by side test with their test kit to see if they agree. Nitrate chemicals seem to have a more unstable shelf life than the others in a test kit. This will just confirm your results. (y)

Driftwood also lowers ph, I have 16 lbs holey and with the amount of driftwood I have it will counterbalance the rock, the Holey rock is actually new like not even a month but yeah I can see where the pores might collect fish food or waste my BN is constantly on the rock in different areas

Back
Top Bottom