Angelfish and Cardinal Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodles_one

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question guys.

I have a 65L tank with 6 cardinals and 1 angel fish.

Just wondering if that's ideal or is it too crowded? Should the Angels be paired or is it better to keep them single? Do the Angela get lonely on there own?

Cheers.

For the time being it will be fine. When the angel grows it may pick and eat the cardinals. Since it's a 65 litre the angel will grow and will eventually grow too large for the 65 and will need a 120 litre plus :) it will be fine for now though . ;)

Awesome thanks for that. Do you know exactly how long it takes before they start to grow?

Angelfish like security in numbers as juveniles, but aren't picky about having friends as they get older. It's alright to have just one. The Tetras should be big enough to avoid being snacked on.

S/he will grow faster with increased feedings and warmer temps. They'll grow faster in warmer water (say 82-84) since it increases their metabolism. Running lower temps can increase their lifespan overall, but the immune system is weakened so it's not a good idea to run it cooler than 80-82.

65L that's roughly 17 us gallons isn't it? IMO you should not have an Angel in that tank they grow to be quite large. Don't stock fish to the size that they are now, stock them to the size that they will grow. They grow to be 6 in. not including fins. add another 6 in. on for fins and you've got yourself a 12 in. fish if not more.

+1

That tank is way too small for angels. Juveniles mature and become adults. You should always try to stock your tank with species that it will be appropriate for at their adult size and temperament.

My new tank is being setup now for when they grow. I've also noticed one of the angels seems to eat food only off the bottom of the tank. I'm pretty sure he's blind coz he keeps running into the plants. So I'm not sure if he can't see the food or I guess can find it better on the bottom.

A healthy angel will feed off the top of the tank. Just look at the shapes of their mouths (angled upward towards the surface). With that being said, my angel will pick food off the bottom once all the floating flakes are gone.

I agree with the others, tank is too small but they do grow slowly. I have a 5-6 year old angel that is pretty close to 6" tip to tip right now. I wouldn't waste any time though, upgrade as soon as you can.

As far as eating cardinals... I kept my large koi angel with neons and never had an issue. She did eat adult guppies for snacks it seemed like though. I think the neons are too fast for her though.

Back
Top Bottom