Angelfish - Blood spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowfax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 angels, One adult Balloon Molly and her 11 fry (about 3 months old), two platy, and one leopard pleco (I do plan on upgrading to a larger tank as pleco gets larger).

I have had this tank set up for about a month and added the angels about 3 weeks ago. Four of the Five angels seem to have not so great looking fins. Some are ripped, some look just a little chewed up around the edges. One of them that I am particularly worried about has blood spots just under the skin, near the gills. Her behavior is normal, but I want to help her heal before she is in grave danger. I suspected some sort of bacterial infection, so I added "Tetra Fungus Guard" to the tank and also added 10 TBSPs of aquarium salt. The fungus guard box said that it helps clear up both fungal and bacterial problems in fish. I removed the carbon from the filter as instructed. I'm still a bit new to this, but I'm doing my best. I read somewhere after I added the fungus guard, that I should have set up a separate tank for the sick fish instead of adding it to the whole tank.
I guess I just want to know if I'm heading in the right direction. I've been doing 25% water changes every week since I got the tank. Here are some pictures of the angel that I am worried about. Bad quality, but you can see the red.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/karlthomas/Photo1075.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/karlthomas/Photo1056.jpg

Test Results:
GH: 120
KH: 40
PH: 6.5
N02: 0
N03: 20

I used gravel and filter media from an established tank when setting mine up. Kept mollies in it by themselves for a couple of weeks before adding the angels. This was pretty much the extent of my cycling.

That looks good. Rotting fins like you describe usually come from poor water conditions. I would suggest upping your water change frequency and amounts and see if the fish improve.

Do you think I should let the medicine run it's course (four days is what the box says) before starting with water changes, or do you think the meds aren't going to help and I should just go ahead and start the water changes asap? I appreciate your help, Rich.

Should I be testing any other parameters of the water to help me know when the water needs changing? My kit only tests what I listed.

I would do the water change and replace the meds in the percentage of water you change. I think nothing helps fish like good fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom