angelfish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, maybe we define topdweller differently. I define topdweller as a fish that spends most, if not all of its time at the top of the tank. If i saw my angels do that I'd be testing the water.

My main point was that saying that angels live on the top and shrimp live on the bottom isn't really a reason to keep them from being eaten, since both creatures have the capacity to go to different levels of the tank at any time they please. The larger the tank the better the chance that shrimp have, but it's still not something I would do if I valued the lives of the shrimp.

Also to touch on another post, it can be a little difficult to pick out a pair at the pet store, especially if they are still juveniles, but just work something out with the LFS owner/worker to see if you can trade out later on if needed, no sense in getting half a dozen of them at once unless you have the intention of serious breeding.

Yeah I think of top dweller as like hatchetfish.

But idk I might not get an angel now...I really wanted a koi angel. But I also want shrimp in my tank. Maybe ill do a seperate shrimp only tank.

And no my intention would be for the enjoyment of having beautiful angelfish...I don't really care to breed at all but it would be very interesting and id find good homes for the surviving babies

Ok so my view is a little different. I see a top dweller as a fish who spends most of it's time at the top but doesn't spend all it's time. We also might have different views of what the top of the tank is. Might not make sense but it's my view and I guess Angels can be middle level swimmers.

If you can do a separate shrimp tank then I really recommend angels. They are really beautiful fish and nice to watch.

Oscarr19 said:
Ok so my view is a little different. I see a top dweller as a fish who spends most of it's time at the top but doesn't spend all it's time. We also might have different views of what the top of the tank is. Might not make sense but it's my view and I guess Angels can be middle level swimmers.

If you can do a separate shrimp tank then I really recommend angels. They are really beautiful fish and nice to watch.

I was actually planning a seperate shrimp tank already. But idk what I'm gonna do bc I also kinda want to breed my panda Corys and raise the spawn. And I would have to have an extra tank for that..which means no shrimp tank bc 2 tanks is my max allowed. Unless I could raise cory fry in a shrimp tank if it was big enough?

I think jeta has bred cories. Not sure if he did pandas but i'm sure its the same concept so hopefully he'll chime in.

yeah i've bred pandas also. Well, they bred themselves. I didn't know anything about it till I saw a bunch of little ones swimming around. They hid the eggs in some moss I think. The only reason it worked so well is because the tank had nothing but corys and plecos in it, so the fry were safe.

Its hard to pick out a pair at the pet shop. To get a pair you would need 3-5 angels and let them work it out. As far as aggression goes they won't touch your cories.

We've had an angel eat a cory before. I was honestly shocked that she survived- I thought we would lose both of the fish. The cory was stuck in her mouth for a couple of days but she did eventually eat it and survive. IMO this is the exception rather than the rule but to say it's definitely not going to happen, well that isn't necessarily the case. ;)

Angels are often terrible parents. You can remove the eggs from the tank and raise the babies yourself, or you can just leave them in the main tank and see what happens. If you want them to survive I would suggest removing them. Be prepared for a lot of feedings and a lot of water changes. LOL. :)

with my latest spawn, I kept them in the tank and just moved the wigglers to a breeder net. It worked out for one of the spawns, but I had to put another breeder net under it to keep them from sucking the fry out, the other spawn was not as fortunate.

One of those SUDO satellite breeder boxes would be awesome for this, but it's use would be limited to maybe a week or two as the fry would outgrow it quickly

We've had an angel eat a cory before. I was honestly shocked that she survived- I thought we would lose both of the fish. The cory was stuck in her mouth for a couple of days but she did eventually eat it and survive. IMO this is the exception rather than the rule but to say it's definitely not going to happen, well that isn't necessarily the case. ;)

Angels are often terrible parents. You can remove the eggs from the tank and raise the babies yourself, or you can just leave them in the main tank and see what happens. If you want them to survive I would suggest removing them. Be prepared for a lot of feedings and a lot of water changes. LOL. :)

Ok i guess i should of phrased that differently. They shouldn't attack your cories but i guess in some cases they can :p

Hmm...but my question remains. Could I raise Cory fry with shrimp?
I have a family owned pet store nearby I could sell the corys to once they get near 2 cm

Ok thought of another one. If I buy two when they're quarter size and keep them in the same tank together will they pair off?

Thanks for answering my questions btw!

I would think most shrimp wouldn't bother the fry..

Hmmm, I just got 4 juvi angels that were on sale at petsmart (our local one is better than the local fish store imo), they have even broke ranks and carry the bristlenose now and are trying to stop carrying the reg pleco

My angels watch my ancistrus like it's fish tv. sometimes they try to nip him, but he's so fast that they hardly ever even touch him. I think the cory's are too fast for an angel to be able to bother them.

Ok thought of another one. If I buy two when they're quarter size and keep them in the same tank together will they pair off?

Thanks for answering my questions btw!

If you happen to luck out and buy a male and female, then yes, they will probably pair off. To my knowledge, they are not sexable at quarter size.

I have 9 corys...so they take up kinda alotta space on the bottom. But they should stay out of the angels territory. And I have 2 pieces of driftwood they can take cover under if needed.

Now I just gotta figure out how to find which angels are paired...they had a beautiful platinum angel at the lfs today

there are a lot of pairs for sale on aquabid...it's just a matter of how much you wanna spend. And if they are proven pairs then you will probably get babies. Even if they aren't proven, if you get a male/female pair you could end up with babies.

When the body is about the size of a coke can lid they're sexually mature right?
And I can raise the surviving babies in the same tank as the adults right?

Not sure about the breeding size, but not all parents will raise the eggs/young. They will eat them, and so will any other fish in the tank. Sometimes they raise them right away, sometimes after experience, and sometimes they never will. Some people move the eggs to another tank and hatch them there. There is a lot to be learned if you plan on breeding. I'd do some research.

are angels and silver dollars compatible? (this seems like the thread to ask this question haha)

Back
Top Bottom