Angelfish sick and eyes turned red. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I change my water weekly 25-50 percent. My water parameters are perfect.

One of my Angelfish not eating for three days now and developed redness on eye circles. Also his forehead is little red too like some bleeding inside. He is swimming near surface looking upwards for three days.

I started antibiotic Amoxciline 2 gram put in my tank yesterday. Please advise what I need to do to save him. Don't want him to die. I love him a lot and such large white specimen is not easy to get here.

This happened overnight. I don't know the reason but one of my newly installed water proof light fell into water from lid at night and I am not sure if it bumped his head. Not sure if that's the cause or if its some bacterial infection.

He was perfectly fine before I slept and saw him bad next day when I woke up. Please help. Thanks.

1491774480042.jpg
1491774492193.jpg
1491774505745.jpg
1491774519110.jpg

To me, it looks like his head is bulging which the only disease I am aware of that can cause this is Corneybacteriosis which is also called popeye. However, I'm sure there are a great number of unknown possibilities with illness. I've had a fish with Popeye before and I don't recall it swimming near surface. I'm really not an expert on fish disease it's so hard to figure out what's happening. Could be many possibilities. I think doing an antibiotic treatment is probably your best bet. Hoping others with more expertise will chime in.

To me, it looks like his head is bulging which the only disease I am aware of that can cause this is Corneybacteriosis which is also called popeye. However, I'm sure there are a great number of unknown possibilities with illness. I've had a fish with Popeye before and I don't recall it swimming near surface. I'm really not an expert on fish disease it's so hard to figure out what's happening. Could be many possibilities. I think doing an antibiotic treatment is probably your best bet. Hoping others with more expertise will chime in.
Thanks for the reply. Yes its most important to treat him rather than finding cause. I hope Antibiotic treatment save him.

Anyone else please share ur suggestions.

Quarantine him if you can so he isn't spreading a sickness if he has one and isn't bullied by tank mates. me personally I'd start with an aquarium salt treatment and keep a close eye for any changes...if the light hit him he may have internal breeding or other problems...keep an eye on him..best of luck

I'm definitely not qualified to make any suggestions, other than I notice swelling and internal bleeding maybe. Here is a site that may help...

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm

Looks like some form of fish hydrocephalus.
Thanks will look into it.
Quarantine him if you can so he isn't spreading a sickness if he has one and isn't bullied by tank mates. me personally I'd start with an aquarium salt treatment and keep a close eye for any changes...if the light hit him he may have internal breeding or other problems...keep an eye on him..best of luck
How much salt per gallon and when to change water and re add salt. I mean please suggest necessary steps for salt treatment. Can I do that with antibiotic treatment? I can't quarantine unfortunately and can't separate but he isn't being bullied but I am worried if its contagious.

One tablespoon for every 5 gallons of water make sure it's aquarium salt! Add salt with water changes

Attachments

• 1491796362370.jpg
    1491796362370.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 167
Ok thanks. Yes will use Aquarium salt and I know difference between Aquarium and marine salt.

Day 5 and he is still not eating and looking upwards to surface. Hope he gets fine.

Blah. Salt. What are your water parameters, they certainly are not perfect?? Testing?

Blah. Salt. What are your water parameters, they certainly are not perfect?? Testing?
If not salt then suggest what is better? They are certainly correct and I know how to do testing. When I say my water parameters are correct it means they are correct and I don't need to put readings.
Are you using test strips or liquid test kit?
Tested with both strips and Api and water parameters are perfect.

Day 6 and he is not eating an as usual on surface. I again put amoxciline yesterday 2 gram but he is same. All other fish are fine and healthy and active.

Keeping an eye on this thread, I'm very curious about what caused it. Have you consulted with a vet or an expert of some sort?

Keeping an eye on this thread, I'm very curious about what caused it. Have you consulted with a vet or an expert of some sort?
I don't have such vet here who knows about fish. This happened to her overnight. I always keep an eye on my fish. He was fine when I feed him at night and found him laying on bottom in morning. I thought he was dead. He tried to swim but couldn't manage to swim propely like when fish is dying. I left him and went to do some tasks and came back to see him alive to my surprise. He started swimming after few hours and since that day he is swimming on top and he is not lazy. Didn't eat for sixth day now and just swimming on top. I don't have a quarantine tank and besides I know if I try to move him he will certainly die because of stress as he must be very sensitive right now. I am treating him with antibiotic Amoxciline. Let's see.

If not salt then suggest what is better? They are certainly correct and I know how to do testing. When I say my water parameters are correct it means they are correct and I don't need to put readings.

Tested with both strips and Api and water parameters are perfect.

Day 6 and he is not eating an as usual on surface. I again put amoxciline yesterday 2 gram but he is same. All other fish are fine and healthy and active.
All fish have the potential to fall ill, more often than not if a seemingly healthy fish turns ill than it's a stressor that's causing it, usually that stressor is poor water quality. It's your tank, your fish.. post parameters, post a picture, tell us your maintenance routine and stocking. Can't ask for help and poo poo questions you don't deem relevant, it's all relevant.

All fish have the potential to fall ill, more often than not if a seemingly healthy fish turns ill than it's a stressor that's causing it, usually that stressor is poor water quality. It's your tank, your fish.. post parameters, post a picture, tell us your maintenance routine and stocking. Can't ask for help and poo poo questions you don't deem relevant, it's all relevant.

I posted all relevant info. I said my water parameters are fine. It means they are in good range. I did mention I used both kit and strip and I did mention I change water twenty five to five percent weekly. I did mention he got sick overnight. Did mention he didn't eat for seven days. Did mention all other fish are fine and healthy. I provided all the info I could.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stayed clear of this OPS question..
The fish is sick and his water is perfect...
Can't help those who know it all ....
But I'll throw my empty hat into the ring !
Is the tank that was brackish?
Was that angel kept in brackish water by you?
Is there still measurable salt in the water?

I posted all relevant info. I said my water parameters are fine. It means they are in good range. I did mention I used both kit and strip and I did mention I change water twenty five to five percent weekly. I did mention he got sick overnight. Did mention he didn't eat for seven days. Did mention all other fish are fine and healthy. I provided all the info I could.

Thanks.

I would like to give you a bit of advice but not the advice you are asking, but something you may benefit from greatly.

Yes this is a public forum. People are here and trying to help out of their love for the hobby and our aquatic charges. Yes there are always some individuals who may not have the best style of communication or even the rare individual who is trying to stir the pot and cause grief. But you have asked for our help and should assume a question is valid if someone took the time to ask it. There is no such thing as perfect water parameters. What is perfect/normal for one tank might be a disaster for some species. Water test and change schedule are also just a small portion of the environment so full tank shots to show the layout and all items in the tank are helpful. There are so many things that cannot be seen until perhaps someone with knowledge asks you a question and you focus there. Perhaps it may be the answer.

I have stayed clear of this OPS question..
The fish is sick and his water is perfect...
Can't help those who know it all ....
But I'll throw my empty hat into the ring !
Is the tank that was brackish?
Was that angel kept in brackish water by you?
Is there still measurable salt in the water?
Its a freshwater tank. Brackish stock I re homed. There is no marine salt in tank. I didn't put aquarium salt too because it may hurt fish eyes. Treating with antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom