Angelfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmize89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, so I have a 56g column tank which currently is housing my south american cichlids but they'll be moving to my 75g soon. So I'm wanting to possibly make angelfish the centerpiece for this tank. I'm going to leave my tiger pleco 2.5" and a Synodontis angelicus hybrid 2" in this tank as well. So maybe start out with 2 angels, 2 apistogramma (if I can find some), and 2 gbr's? How would this work in you guys opinion?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What ever you do make sure you do NOT get a male and female angel fish unless you have a place to put them if they decide to breed. They will a terror to the rest of your tank if they do

Rummynose tetras!
Maybe kuhli loaches or Cories?
I'd leave out the either the apistos or the Rams, having a single pair. In the 56 column there isn't a lot of floor space.f do want both species, maybe do one sex?

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

I'm sorry I didn't clarify, I meant either the apistogramma or the rams lol it just seems as if rams are very common in my area but apistogramma are hard to come by. But I'm wanting a pair. And do you think cories will do well with my syno angelicus? He's quite feisty and Def takes ownership of his cave. I wouldn't want the cories to get bullied. Maybe Kuhli loaches.... how many? Hmmm rummy nose tetras might be a good dither fish...

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Oops, I guess I missed the part about the syno cat! I don't really have experience with syno cats, so I'm not sure. Hopefully someone that knows more about them will chime in.

In my column, I plan to have 12 cories when I am done stocking. I'd say you could do about the same number of kuhlies.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Yea the kuhlies seem pretty cool but I don't think I've ever seen them at my LFS

So I got my the angels in the 56g column and I was at my LFS looking at the apistogramma, however they didn't kno what specific species they were but then I saw a pair of wild caught german blue rams, and wow they are just gorgeous. Everyone seem like to be doing fine. I acclimated the German blues for like 2 hours just cause I wanted to be sure they were ok

Attachments

• 1431924174633.jpg
    1431924174633.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 60
  • 1431924191801.jpg
    1431924191801.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks!

How can you be sure the rams are wild?
You didn't QT them?
I am looking for wild rams!
Where did you get them?

Well they come from a pretty reliable l
LFS, been going there for a while now and I'm good friends with the owners, and no my qt tank is occupied with my electric blue acaras but the LFS has had them for about 2 months in there qt watching them and they seem to be doing just fine. And I'm in san diego, ca. Got them at D and K aquarium

What temp/ph are you keeping everything at? Angels and Rams like very warm (80F minimum, with 82-84 pref), acidic water, while I thought Synos needed alkaline and I don't recall what temp...

I don't alter my ph levels at all except for the driftwood that is put in my tanks. I find that a steady ph is better than fluctuating ph trying to get it right. I find that fish will acclimate themselves to the ph. But it's about 7.6 out of the tap. And the tank is 78 - 79F at the moment

I agree that stable is better, but wild Rams in particular are VERY sensitive. To be kept in such cool, alkaline water is not real conducive to their long term health. You'd have far better luck keeping captive bred Rams from a breeder that has similar water parameters. I believe Yunite has captive bred rams that are kept in 7.4 water, albeit much warmer. At the very least I recommend raising the temp, as Rams are very prone to disease when kept at cooler temps.

Ok Thanks, I guess I'll bump it up to 80-82

Back
Top Bottom