Angels, Rams, and schoolers..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeISright

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank got hit hard recently by ich and 2 african featherfins are doing well but the Gt doesnt seem to be doing great and it looks like he may have some internal parasites. So the reason im posting is because i plan WAY ahead and i want to start thinking now (although i hope i dont lose the GT) if all hope is lost for the green terror what are options as far as angelfish and rams go? Also maybe a small school of tetras? Im planning on rehoming an african featherfin that i rescued from a friend so the only initial stock would be:

1- african featherfin catfish
?- angelfish
?- bolivian ram(s)
?- german blue ram(s)
?- _____ tetra/rainbowfish

Thanks

mikeISright said:
My tank got hit hard recently by ich and 2 african featherfins are doing well but the Gt doesnt seem to be doing great and it looks like he may have some internal parasites. So the reason im posting is because i plan WAY ahead and i want to start thinking now (although i hope i dont lose the GT) if all hope is lost for the green terror what are options as far as angelfish and rams go? Also maybe a small school of tetras? Im planning on rehoming an african featherfin that i rescued from a friend so the only initial stock would be:

?- angelfish
?- bolivian ram(s)
?- german blue ram(s)
?- _____ tetra/rainbowfish

Thanks

I would do either the GBR or the BR. I would do:
1 africian feather fin catfish
2 angelfish
2 german blue rams
6 cherry barbs
10 glow light or neon tetras.

Samzter said:
I would do either the GBR or the BR. I would do:
1 africian feather fin catfish
2 angelfish
2 german blue rams
6 cherry barbs
10 glow light or neon tetras.

Ok so what about this:
2- angelfish
2- GBRs
15- neon tetras
1- honey gourami

Haha no i mean completely different stocking list from what u gave me with similar type fish. And shrimp would be snacks for my featherfin

Ohh okay. Haha idk what a featherfin is so. And Maybe some tiger oscars? Those are really sweet I've always wanted some. Idk much about em but they're awesome haha.

Do yourself a favor and get bolivian rams. I've had about 8 GBRs and all of them were a problem. I never had more then 4 in a 40b and they would always fight, chase other fish, and just randomly die. I finaly said you know what, enough is enough and brought the last 2 down to the LFS. I traded them in for 2 bolivian rams and its like night and day.

for one they get a lot bigger. the BRs are also WAY WAY WAY more community friendly. these two always swim together, never cause a problem with other fish, and are WAY more active then the GBRs. I will never get GBRs again after having these. GBRs are not worth the headache. The BRs have the same colorings, they are just not hormone injected neon colored. I would highly recommend the BR.

Wow thank you for telling me that. That helps a ton. How many BRs can you keep in a 55 with like angels and tetras?

I have 2 in my 40b and they seem to have enough space. If you want angels I would only put a pair in a 55 with a pair of BRs. Also, if you plan on putting tetras in, make sure you get the angels as small as possible, like the size of a quarter or a nickel. Tetras are food for angels in the wild. Some have some luck with the co existing when the angels "grow up" with the tetras, but again, some dont.

I bought 2 GBRs and had absolutely no problems. And I still have em and they're awesome, I think they're a lot prettier too IMO that's just his personal experience. That doesn't mean every GBRs gonna be the same way

Yeah i know all fish are different. My GT is peaceful. Kinda weird but im ok with it haha. And ok i can get them small so ill take advantage of that. This has been a really helpful thread seeing that i didnt know much about angels and stocking.

Hey just thought I'd chime in :) my angels had grown up with neons from a very small size and in the end they still ate them, mind you that was a 29 gallon and it may be different in your tank. So IMO you should swap out the neons for a different tetra, even cardinals because they're slightly larger but my favorites at the moment are my emperor tetras but whatever you like :)

Yes I've also had German blue
rams and no problems. I have even for mine to lay eggs! Ther temperament is fine, mine are so great that they can be kept with guppies. That was just his experience , mine are nothing like that.

Back
Top Bottom