Angry Cichlid 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125g, currently has:

(1) Angry Jack Dempsey
(1) Angry Managuense
(1) Big fat pacu.

The pacu is being relocated/eaten, so i'll have lots of landscape left over.

I'm thinking of remodeling the tank to have lots of territory, even though the managuense and JD share a cave??

I'd like to also get a Green Terror, a convict, and maybe 1 or 2 other big angry cichlids.

How many of these angry guys can i get in a 125?

I'm interested in hearing what people will say about this post. I don't have any answers, just wondering what the AA experts will say. I have a 55 gallon with quite a few caves and hiding places. I have 5 firemouths and 5 convicts in it right now. I am waiting to find a breeding pair of each then I will decide what to do with the others. I have two LFS that work well with taking back fish by trade.

Its strange how the fully grown JD and Managuense get along now. The Managuense is bigger, with a much larger mouth, but the JD will push him around and threaten him. They share a cave, but are like an unhappily married couple, the JD is not all that happy about Managuense moving in with him.

They seem to have forgotten about territory. Weird.

Your tank is big enough for them to have their own spots to feel comfortable, IMO. Another issue you might have is adding new/smaller fish to your current setup. Please keep updated, this is an interesting scenario.

I would add one more of each fish at a time so maybe a GT then wait a few weeks and if all is going well add the Convict but as I'm sure you know if you get 2 convicts and they turn out to be a pair you will have aggression issues then! Convicts are tough little buggers and can hold there own and kill a fish twice their size! Have fun with the tank!
HTH

From various sources I have read that Jaguar Cichlids need plenty of room, If I remember correctly one breeding pair carries a suggested tank size minimum of 125 and preferably bigger.

I have a solo Managuensis in a 56 gallon tank. There are some interesting insights at this web site I have seen before. The Jag is an awesome fish no doubt.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_jaguar.php

Back
Top Bottom