Another Aquarium Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a finer brand of aquarium salt then API? It seems to take me forever to dissolve salt. Even in boiling water. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

API aquarium salt is pure sodium chloride. I don't think changing brands will do anything except maybe save you money. How much salt are you adding, and what for? Seems odd that it wouldn't dissolve...

Just amount recommended on the box. But even boiling water and steering it can take up to an hour for it to dissolve. I'll often crush the grains with a spoon to make them finer but I usually just end up making a mess.

Just wondering if they make a finer grain or if anyone had ever dissolved it in a container and stored it for future use?

I know it's an odd question and no one seems to complain about it so it must be something wrong with me or my water. That's it. I'll blame the water ;)

Just amount recommended on the box. But even boiling water and steering it can take up to an hour for it to dissolve. I'll often crush the grains with a spoon to make them finer but I usually just end up making a mess.

Just wondering if they make a finer grain or if anyone had ever dissolved it in a container and stored it for future use?

I know it's an odd question and no one seems to complain about it so it must be something wrong with me or my water. That's it. I'll blame the water ;)

Well, aquarium salt is completely unnecessary unless you're treating a disease. To be honest, you can just buy table salt (without iodine) and use that. It's literally the same thing.

Well, aquarium salt is completely unnecessary unless you're treating a disease. To be honest, you can just buy table salt (without iodine) and use that. It's literally the same thing.
+1 thats kosher salt :) all in all, it really isnt necessary on a regular basis

I'm treating a Betta with a head injury and fin rot. After finally getting my water parameters under control his fins are finally showing new growth and his head laceration is getting smaller. It feels like it's taking forever to get this guy well.

Thanks for the kosher salt tip. I've always been nervous about trying it, but I guess as long as the ingredients are the same, then it's the same.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom